Lobivia arachnacantha not cold tolerant?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick_G
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Lobivia arachnacantha not cold tolerant?

Post by Nick_G »

In Tomasz Blaczkowski's recent Lobivia booklet he describes Lobivia arachnacantha as 'sensitive to cold,not resistant to frost, even small frosts can kill this Lobivia'. Really? Has anyone experienced this? Does he mean possibly just the species and not the varieties. My vallegrandensis, sulphurea and densiseta have all experienced greenhouse temperatures down to -6C and come through totally unscathed. I only obtained a couple of plants of var.arachnacantha in 2019 and we haven't had any really chilly weather here since then. Tonight promises -6 to -8C apparently so maybe I should bring one inside.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Lobivia arachnacantha not cold tolerant?

Post by iann »

Most publications are comically conservative about how much frost a cactus can take. I have a highly-regarded book which says Pediocactus must stay above a minimum winter temperature of 7C, but I'd be surprised if most Pediocactus would grow if they never went below 7C. Often I wonder if they've killed a plant at, say, 5C, so they think that's as cold as it can ever go. Then there's that tricky zone where a plant might survive a temperature only very briefly, or might survive but lose its roots, mark up, or be set back in its growth. Still, most "official" sources appear to me to be hopelessly inaccurate on the subject. Perhaps they're just trying to cover themselves in case of loss.

Anyway, your Lobivia should be pretty safe at least -5C, probably lower. Not sure about all those varieties.
Cheshire, UK
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

I don't think that's the case here Ian, he's saying that arachnacantha is the exception and that it won't tolerate low temperatures like other Lobivias. Mind you, Essex cold isn't quite the same as Poland cold.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

I'd wait until after tonight before making such rash statements :lol:
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

He's made at least one collection of this species:

Field number : TB 814.1
Collector : Tomasz Blaczkowski
Species : Lobivia arachnacantha
Locality : Bolivia : Santa Cruz (Samaipata, 1880 m)
Date : 2014/01/21

From Wikipedia, in Samaipata, "Frost occurs on nine days in an average year", presumably normally mild and of hours rather than days duration.

It's certainly not the highest location this plant has been found at, so Thomasz's collection may be a bit less cold tolerant than some, but you'd expect at least a teeny hint of frost tolerance. Maybe don't risk >=-6C unless you've got seedlings to spare?
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Paul in Essex wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:07 pm I'd wait until after tonight before making such rash statements :lol:
I might have the heater on tonight, Phil. Only forecast for about -5C, but I still have lots of stuff out that I'd only consider lightly frost-hardy. The Pediocactus have been watered so I'm all up for freezing nights and sunny days.
Cheshire, UK
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

My L. arachnacanthas were previously kept at 5C, and now are in the unheated part of the greenhouse, and they seem fine. I can't say I have deliberately frozen any, but they don't show any marks I would associate with cold damage.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Paul in Essex wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:07 pm I'd wait until after tonight before making such rash statements :lol:
South Benfleet-3C, Kracow -11C tonight according to the Beeb 😀
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Ali Baba wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:56 pm
South Benfleet-3C, Kracow -11C tonight according to the Beeb 😀
And it's like that for the past week or so, and will be for 2-ish weeks. Months with constant subzero temperatures are not that uncommon as well :grin:
Mat
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

Yet another attempt at humour falls flat. :lol:
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.