water - above or below?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactuscat2
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

water - above or below?

Post by Cactuscat2 »

Hello! This query is probably too easy for most of you experienced members but as a newbie, I don't know whether to water from below newly potted plants (opuntia, echinocactus, agave, recently purchased as bare roots) or straight onto the surface. Is it different for older established plants? I haven't watered at all since potting a week ago. I'm a bit baffled by the different ways of doing things! Any advice is very welcome. Thank you!
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: water - above or below?

Post by esp »

If you have just bought plants, they normally won't want water until at least March - most C&S are grown best in the UK with a winter rest, with minimal water. This assumes they are kept cool. If they are in a centrally heated room, they will want some water.

In terms of watering from above or below, for most plants, most of the time, it doesn't matter.
It's often more convenient to water from above, but some growers have all their plants in trays and flood the trays to water from below. BIg leafy rosette plants which have spread out beyond the rims of the pots sometimes need to be watered from below too, just because water from above will nearly all run off to the sides.
For tiny seedlings or other very small fragile plants, or those which have delicate leaf coatings, routine watering from below may be preferable.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I’ve never used the trays method. Watering from above feels more natural to me, but it does make a mess of furry / hairy top plants like some Lophophoras. For most, top watering presents no problems and let’s you control how much each pot gets.
How do those of you with trays prevent pots standing in water? Do you have drain plugs in them?
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

I find getting the right substrate mix as a much easier way to dose water, I just wet the plants thoroughly and let the excess water run out. Ignoring some early casualties, all looks good now.

Due to limited space and keeping the plants indoor I usually use two containers, the "wet" and "dry" one (which recently is a dish drip tray by the sink :mrgreen: ), but I also saw people using nasal pears/aspirators, or whatever you call those things, to remove standing water.

Bottom watering is also easier for me as it prevents the substrate to splash around if I'm not so gentle with it.
Mat
Cactuscat2
BCSS Member

Post by Cactuscat2 »

Thank you so much! I am so worried about overwatering. I'll wait a few more weeks before watering and decide according to each plant. However I lean towards watering from below. Fill tray with water and leave until top looks darker or run water through from above and let it drain on newspaper for a few mins. Some small plants are in pairs in food containers (fishcakes usually). Decisions, decisions. I'm attempting to attach photos . . .
Nope, can't do it at the moment, sorry I'll post a photo as soon as possible Thank you all for your patience.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Whichever way you water, the important thing is not to leave the plants standing in water - always get rid of the excess water after the plants have had a good soak.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
esp
BCSS Member

Post by esp »

Cactuscat2 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:47 pm Some small plants are in pairs in food containers (fishcakes usually).
LOL. Glad to know I'm not the only one. Also fishcakes! Not the most stylish, but effective enough at times.
Cactuscat2
BCSS Member

Post by Cactuscat2 »

Finally! managed to get photos on - helped by daughter who recognised the format of this website as one she was familiar with 20 years ago. Who knew! Anyway, here's 3 of the plants I am concerned about watering. However, as some of you have helpfully said, don't worry too much as long as they aren't sitting in water. Thanks again.

IMG_1443.jpeg
esp
BCSS Member

Post by esp »

Right front right plant is a Haworthia, it will probably prefer a bit of water over winter.
The spiny cacti will probably be happiest left dry for at least one more month, unless they are kept somewhere quite warm.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

May I ask where did you find such nice Echinocactus grusonii var. (sub)inermis in such a nice price? :grin:

Edit: Cactus Shop?
Mat