Pediocactus Knowltonii not looking too great.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Pediocactus Knowltonii not looking too great.

Post by Stuart »

DSCF5096.JPG
Has anyone any thoughts on this Pediocacatus Knowltonii ? It's been gradually looking worse during the past few months, first going from a nice green to a grey-green colour and then producing all this yucky brown growth. I would have grafted it ages ago and I take off a few offsets to graft each year. The ones I've grafted this summer still look fine in a different grenhouse but this one looks unhappy to say the least. It's quite solid, no sign of any rot. It can't be cold, although I keep the greenhouse at about 4C, in habitat it lives under snow in the winter and they are fine in an unheated greenhouse. Does that only leave a virus as the only answer?

Stuart
fero
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Pediocactus Knowltonii not looking too great.

Post by fero »

It reminds me of the orange rust type markings on ortegocactus . even the epidermis is a similar blue green .
with that one they recommend the brightest spot to try control it. this is a link to "life's "ortegocactus page they are suggesting it helps it to blend in with the surrounding lichens . at least you have some good replacments.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 3259518793
I would put it on a top shelf and see what happens.
also give a very close inspection ,which I'm sure you have already , just in case of wee red beasies. which it most likely isn't.
NickHitchcock
BCSS Member
Branch: MEDWAY TOWNS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by NickHitchcock »

I have what looks like exactly the same orange growth on 2 young Matucana, they are next to 3 others, I sprayed twice with rose clear and it seems to have stopped the orange stuff from getting worse and it has not spread to the ones next to them.
Northampton and MK member
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: LUTON

Post by iann »

Could you bear to take a head off and dissect it? Would be good to know now if you have a systemic infection or just some skin damage. If I spotted damage like this, I'd normally suspect cold damage first, then mites, but cold damage is unlikely and it doesn't look like mites.
Cheshire, UK
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

The other thing you might consider is a nutrient deficiency, do you feed it with a fertiliser that contains micronutrients?