Miniature Lachenalias

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
GiacomoP
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Miniature Lachenalias

Post by GiacomoP »

This is Lachenalia’s flowering time. We all try to keep them nice and compact, with a delicate equilibrium of watering and exposing to strong light as much as we can. Difficult task if we go through cloudy and dull days, in which Lachenalias develop big leaves and elongated inflorescence. At least, this is my experience!
If this is the normality, I occasionally find few exceptions, like this miniature in the picture.
This Lachenalia carnosa is in a big vessel in which, last summer I mixed many bulbs, mainly volunteers of different species. I am ashamed to through them away. It is very crowded pot and it is on a lower shelf, mainly in the shadow. While my other L.carnosa (on more luminous shelves..) reach 20-25 cm in height this is altogether about 3 cm!
An obvious question… Do we really understand how to grow them properly?
((Or, in this case is genetic?))
20210216_091838.jpg
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Re: Miniature Lachenalias

Post by ralphrmartin »

I think plenty of light is important. I also give mine plenty of water, and get a good show of flowers. Not every species is as floriferous, and some seem much earlier than others.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

I've found the best way to keep them compact is to put them in a small pot, or a generously populated community pot. The larger the pot, the larger the plant. This is very apparent with Massonias, they basically scale with the pot size. Even with the amount of winter light I have here I still have some tall plants, probably due to higher than ideal temperatures when the plants are in full sun (even though they're outside).
I had some spare sale plants, Massonia and Lachenalia, which I threw in small (deep 6 cm) pots just to get them through the winter and they are now very cute miniature versions of their former selves. Unfortunately, flowers usually scale with the leaves...
GiacomoP
BCSS Member

Post by GiacomoP »

Astro wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:47 pm I've found the best way to keep them compact is to put them in a small pot, or a generously populated community pot.
thanks Astro,
this is exactly what i observed. it is an very interesting point of view!
It might even not be far away from the wild situation in which starved plants get smaller and smaller. On the contrary, if you have plenty of resources producing big leaves means more photosynthesis and more starch accumulated in the bulb. An insurance for the future! :wink:
Said that, strong light enhances the colors.
giac

P.S. Smaller flowers/inflorescence are very charming.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Hi
I don't grow these but its very nice looking, do you fancy showing some more :grin: :grin:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

Tina wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:30 pm Hi
I don't grow these but its very nice looking, do you fancy showing some more :grin: :grin:
Some random Lachenalia pictures...

L. framesii, also has undulated leaves. The flowers are similar to L. mutabilis, which has an even more pronounced blue-purple top part of the inflorescence.
L framesii
L framesii
L. ensifolia ssp ensifolia. I have a form with pinkish flowers too but those are still too small for flowers.
L. ensifolia ssp ensifolia
L. ensifolia ssp ensifolia
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: EDINBURGH
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Nick »

I love L. ensifolia - so compact and floriferous. I got mine from Terry Smale, along with many other plants, and they will provide a lasting memory of a true gentleman.
GiacomoP
BCSS Member

Post by GiacomoP »

Here the normal form of Lachenalia carnosa
Lachenalia carnosa.jpeg
GiacomoP
BCSS Member