I've never started watering in February before.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: I've never started watering in February before.

Post by Aiko »

I haven't watered yet. And I will not for at least week of four. For certain things dealing with plants I always look at the calendar, not at how the weather is at the moment. This is one of those things. Next week it will be normal for February again. I will probably have soggy pots with plants in it for weeks, if I water now.
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

Aiko wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:17 am I haven't watered yet. And I will not for at least week of four. For certain things dealing with plants I always look at the calendar, not at how the weather is at the moment. This is one of those things. Next week it will be normal for February again. I will probably have soggy pots with plants in it for weeks, if I water now.
I'm the complete opposite, I never water by the calendar and always by the weather. This is the earliest I've ever started but some years it can be as late as mid April. Temperatures in my greenhouse should be in the low 20sC this week with cool nights, perfect growing conditions for my cacti and in the mix I use (100% cat litter) the pots will be dryish after a week.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Nick_G wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:40 am I'm the complete opposite, I never water by the calendar and always by the weather.
I should clarify the calendar is only used for knowing when to BEGIN or to END watering. I start in the middle to late March and I end in early September for cacti, give or take a week or so. My succulents usually get watering well into October, some even in November. How the watering goes in between is depending on the weather (of course, I should say).
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

I'd hold tough myself until after that first week in March.

https://www.bbc.com/weather/outlook

Review it again then.
FredG
Registered Guest

Post by FredG »

I use the weather and the calendar as rough guides only. The most important trigger for watering is the condition of the plants.
Not much point holding back watering until March if the plant dies of dehydration in February.
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
Darren S
BCSS Member

Post by Darren S »

Related to this topic, I have a number of medusoid Euphorbia. I always see lots of buds on them at this time of year but they often abort. And the thinner-armed ones are looking a bit shrivelled. Should I start watering these earlier than most? My greenhouse is kept only just frost free, which realistically means it is kept wide open 24/7 all year round except if we are expecting more than a couple of degrees of frost, or gales.

(Seedlings of E. flanaganii in a baggie have continued to grow all winter.)

Any advice?
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

My Pterocacti got watered yesterday. Light misting has started on other cacti, but not enough to wet the soil, just the epidermis.
AndrewB
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by AndrewB »

I gave my youngest seedling cacti a spray on Thursday (nice sunny afternoon), and delopyed a pipette on the smallest of the year before seedlings. With feed in obviously. Then it’s been raining since!

Spent today watering and feeding my Clivias because they have started into growth this last week or so.
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.