Plant of the month photo plea.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Plant of the month photo plea.

Post by Cactus Kid »

I have been asked to take over the ‘Plant of the month’ feature for the website. This is a very popular section especially for the important newer members to the hobby, to introduce them to new species and encourage better cultivation skills.

The March one is ready to go featuring one of my own plants, and I have another in hand thanks largely to Derek Tribble.

However to keep this going I am going to need constant new material.

Generally all I require is two or three photos, consisting of a picture of the whole plant, a close up if needed, and one of the plant in flower if possible. You will be credited with these.

Also if you wish, any general info on the plant, particularly any cultivation hints you can offer.

Please get snapping away at your favourite plants, or trawl through your previous pictures for others to drool over.

These can be sent to me via email to me at the address below.

Many thanks, Chris Coombes

dragon133@ntlworld.com
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Plant of the month photo plea.

Post by edds »

Chris, are there any particular types / species of plants you are after?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Might be good as a sticky
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member

Post by Cactus Kid »

Edds, no, nothing in particular, just good photos of well grown plants to inspire others to try them.

It would be nice if people could check if that particular species has been in the plant of the month feature recently to avoid the disappointment of their plant not being included.

Also no plant banned under CITES or on the endangered list. We can’t be seen to be encouraging people to try and obtain these.

We just need nice plants that are available in the trade as plants or seeds.

Tina, a sticky would be ideal, keeping it in peoples thoughts during the year when something looks at it’s best. (tu)
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Well volunteered, Chris! I have made this a Sticky.

We should offer great thanks to Sheila Cude who has organised 'Plant of the Month' for many years, coercing authors to provide a picture or two and to describe the virtues of their particular plant, and to ensure a good variety of subjects.
Thanks you, Sheila.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Sheila
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Sheila »

Hi,

Thank you Tony. I would also like to take this opportunity to publicly thank everyone who supported me with the Plant of the Month feature. I could not have kept it going for so long without your help.

I had said that I would provide a list of the Plant of the Month plants featured which could provide the basis for an index, and I will now try and do this as soon as possible.

Chris, if you see this first I have sent you an email about this.

Best wishes,
Sheila
Editor - Cactus and Succulent Review
https://www.cactusandsucculentreview.org.uk
Born in Essex – growing in the world
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Yes thanks for stepping up and taking this on Chris.
Sheila wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:14 pm
I had said that I would provide a list of the Plant of the Month plants featured which could provide the basis for an index, and I will now try and do this as soon as possible.
And thank you Sheila for all your work, it was getting on for 10 years! Dont worry about the index, I managed to extract a list from the backend of the website, which Al has had a copy of.

bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Do you have a set 'formula' you would prefer so history, growing etc.
It may help
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member

Post by Cactus Kid »

Tina wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:21 pm Do you have a set 'formula' you would prefer so history, growing etc.
It may help
Not really Tina.

In order to encourage as many people as possible to contribute I am happy with just a set of photos as detailed above if that is what they are more comfortable with.

I can then add any information I see fit. Some cultivation notes or conditions under which the plant has been grown would be useful, but again, not essential.

I am short of a few cactus (rather than other succulent) pictures at the moment if anyone would be good enough to send me some!
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member

Post by Cactus Kid »

With many of our plants starting to flower at this time, now would be a great opportunity to get a few pictures to show them off to other enthusiasts.
If there is anything you are particularly proud of, please consider sending it to me for inclusion on the BCSS Plant of the month feature.
I need just two or three photos, consisting of a picture of the whole plant, a close up if needed, and one of the plant in flower if possible. You will be credited with these.
Also if you wish, any general info on the plant, particularly any cultivation hints you can offer.
I can send anyone a list of species already covered, on request.

You can contact me on dragon133@ntlworld.com

Many thanks, Chris Coombes