Plant of the month photo plea.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
BillyV
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: YORK

Re: Plant of the month photo plea.

Post by BillyV »

Hello, newbie here.
Attempted to send photos, but not successful.
Sorry
BillyV
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

Hi Billy, sorry to hear that. If you can post your email address on here I can send you the details on how to contact me and send you a list on the plants we have already featured.

Thanks, Chris
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
Nick
BCSS Member
Branch: GLASGOW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Nick »

I have to say that if i need to go back and check whether a plant photo is admissible or not for POM in light of whether it has previously been shown, then my enthusiasm is likely to wane very quickly.
Personal preference would be for a monthly subject given by the organiser rather than a free for all
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Please don't think of it in terms of admissibility. It's just about getting a good spread of species. I was approached to write one on a sulcorebutia with a brief to pick anything other than rauschii, which had been done in 2012. My stab at Rebutia tiraquensis was March 2020's P-o-t-M but we've since had R. steinbachii without any issues.
Although, hopefully, there are a few in the pipeline that aren't on this spreadsheet, I attach the version that Chris sent me in mid-April - hope that's alright Chris!
plant of the month.xlsx
(12.49 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Have a look - you might find a glaring omission that you can't let pass.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member

Post by Cactus Kid »

Thanks Phil, that's very helpful (tu)

I am also happy to email the most up to date list to anyone that wants it.

I am running a little short of articles now so may have to start contacting possible contributors directly which I don't like doing, as this may make them feel obligated to produce something.

If anybody feels they can help, please contact me at dragon133@ntlworld.com

Many thanks, Chris
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

Can you cut and paste the list up on to here so it's in this thread?

I would be happy to put something together but don't have much that I've got to full size. What Aeonium have been done?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member

Post by Cactus Kid »

Hi Edds. Phil has put a link to a downloadable list of plants already featured. You can check that and then you have the lot.
As for the Aeoniums, we have had the following :-

Aeonium arboreum Apr-19
Aeonium davidbramwellii Jun-21
Aeonium leucobletharum Feb-13

The plants do not necessarily need to be fully mature as long as it's a good representation of the species.
All that is needed is is two or three pics, a close up, one of the whole plant and one in flower if possible.

Then if you wish some info on the species and / or any cultivation advice. This is not essential as I can add any notes etc to your photos.

Thanks, Chris
fero
BCSS Member

Post by fero »

Hello. Just wondering where abouts the plant of the month is. Will it be available on the forum, it could replace the long hibernation of genus of the month.
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

fero wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:37 pm Hello. Just wondering where abouts the plant of the month is. Will it be available on the forum, it could replace the long hibernation of genus of the month.
It is on the front page of the website, right hand side:

https://www.society.bcss.org.uk
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
edds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

Cactus Kid wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:56 pm Hi Edds. Phil has put a link to a downloadable list of plants already featured. You can check that and then you have the lot.
Sorry Chris, should have seen that!

I will get something sorted and over to you this weekend.

Ed
Ed

BCSS member 53038