Bcss zoom meetings

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Al Laius
BCSS Journal Editor
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES
Role within the BCSS: Membership Secretary

Re: Bcss zoom meetings

Post by Al Laius »

Just for the record I’d like to say that everything worked just fine for me. Audio was perfect and the slides moved on just fine apart from the odd occasion when the speaker himself declared that they had frozen at his end. I watched mine on a MacBook laptop.

Sorry to hear you had problems.

Al
HaoBao
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by HaoBao »

It was fine for me watching on an IPhone 6 with the Zoom app. Could the platform that people are using make a difference?

If the viewers say what they used, good or bad, maybe there would be a pattern.
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Absolutely the platform can make difference, seems like Zoom itself might be responsible for problems here.

Edit: or maybe not as there's nothing on https://status.zoom.us/
Mat
FredG
Registered Guest

Post by FredG »

I had two computers running on last night's talk. A laptop running the zoom app and a desktop running zoom in the browser (Chrome). Sound was good on both but the browser had problems with the pictures. They were much delayed at times compared to the zoom app.
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

A system is only as fast and secure as its weakest link. A system as complex and physically large as the Net and Zoom has many such physical and virtual links.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
WoBo
Registered Guest

Post by WoBo »

Didn't have any problems with sound or pictures at the 'Tuesday Night Cactus Club' this week. If there should have been some delayed transfer of slides, it wasn't significant for me. But I know from other talks that this can be very different on an individual level. The heaviest delay I have experienced as host of the DKG Zoom talks was about 8 seconds.
The only technique that wasn't perfect this Tuesday was the fading effect when changing to the next picture - but that is a general problem of Zoom. It's simply not designed for the transmission of moving images, be it movies, animation effects or live views of people in motion. That's the reason why we recommend any referent at the DKG Zooms to not use any fading slides, floating texts or similar effects.
I had the impression that the (wonderful!) pictures shown by David were very high resoluted, and especially stacked photos can be very large. So maybe the amount of data to be transferred by Zoom was higher than with other talks?

I'm watching Zoom with a ThinkPad laptop.

Wolfgang
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I was on an ipad and had delayed pictures
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

MatDz wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:40 am Absolutely the platform can make difference, seems like Zoom itself might be responsible for problems here.

Edit: or maybe not as there's nothing on https://status.zoom.us/
The chatting with video and sound people do before the talk was fine. As usual I should say. The problem started when the talk started. I was looking at the starting picture for about ten minutes and was wondering why nothing happened.

Right after the talk things went fine too again. During the talk my browser (I was watching it via a Firefox browser) was really sluggish, nothing I had seen before. I could read one chat of someone saying there ware transitions in the slides, causing the problems? That was the only remark on a problem during the talk I have read.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Aiko wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:48 am The chatting with video and sound people do before the talk was fine. As usual I should say.
For me the audio from the speaker was distorted in the chat before the meeting started, but I could make out what he was saying. When the talk started the distortion increased so much that I couldn't work out what he was saying so not obvious if I was seeing the correct image. During the Q&A I had no problem hearing the questions but answers were mostly too distorted. This was all on windows PC via chrome.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

It sounds as though at least some of the problems were at the speaker's end, poor audio could indicate a possible lack of bandwidth.
I had poor sound at times, didn't notice a lag with slides.