Caudiciforms

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeT
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Caudiciforms

Post by MikeT »

Tina wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:14 pm You did do well & all so healthy looking, the e.bupleurifolia isn't what the label say its a hybrid might be japonica.
e.bupleurifolia is normally a single chunky stem.
I agreee with Tina: good looking plants; the E. bupleurifolia is the suzannae x bupleurifolia hybrid.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

The Monilaria is Monanthes polyphylla.
Your Gasteria is an Aloe.

But never mind the names, they are nice plants.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

D.T. won't be happy with the Alstonii. Hope it's rooted by now.

Stuart
yorkshireal
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIDLINGTON

Post by yorkshireal »

Many thanks for all the replies and helpful signposting. I will amend labels accordingly!

I'll let Williams Cactus know about the Monilaei/Monanthes and the Gasteria/Aloe.

I didn't understand the comment about DT and the Avonia?

Regards

Alan
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

The Anacampseros (Avonia) was most probably from a large quantity of unrooted habitat-collected plants I saw in the wholesale trade a year ago. To grow a plant with a 'caudex' that size would take years so, unfortunately, there is a demand for larger habitat plants.

Stuart
Nick_G
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Nick_G »

They sell a lot of habitat collected plants, for example there is no way the Adenia globosa are nursery grown. The RM numbers tell you where they got them from. It's up to you whether you think this is OK or not, I would never lecture anyone on this, after all I dig up loads of habitat plants (weeds) from my allotment every day, but I do wish that sellers would make it clear if the plants they are offering are habitat collected so that the buyer can make an informed choice.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

The prices are pretty steep. Didn't realise the value I have in my collection.
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ernie »

I thought one of the aims of the BCSS was to outlaw collecting of habitat plants, that being so we ought not to be showcasing such plants on this forum. Its double standards. If individuals want to buy and grown them that's altogether a different matter, personal choice and for their conscious which I don't have a problem with.
Outsiders looking in could be forgiven for thinking the society has double standards.
Is it a case of saying one thing and doing another because many members have habitat collected plants.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
yorkshireal
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIDLINGTON

Post by yorkshireal »

Again, thanks for all the advice, correct identification etc. The issue regarding 'habitat collecting' was not something I was aware of - I had naiively thought that all plants sold commercially would either be seed/cutting-grown, or bought in from someone's private collection (I myself acquired my original caudiciforms from an auction of a collection from a branch member who had passed away), or perhaps were imported under licence. I have actually acquired my interest in these plants secondary to my passion for reptiles - having done several reptile photography trips to areas like southeastern USA, South Africa, Madagascar and Australia, with my photography buddy being a botanist, I became interested in the plants. In the reptile keeping world pretty well all reptiles are now captive-bred - there are still small numbers of wild imports, but nothing like it was in the 80s and 90s, and they would be imported with appropriate licenses.

So I apologise for any offence I caused by posting such pictures - which I can promise is through ignorance and not a desire to obtain plants regardless of habitat damage that could occur in their collection. I will seek advice from those who are more experienced than me before posting any more pictures, unless I am certain of the plants' heritage.

Alan