David Kirkbright RIP - Funeral Details

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

David Kirkbright RIP - Funeral Details

Post by Bill »

It is with a heavy heart that I regret to inform you that David Kirkbright passed away this afternoon. he was an incredible servant of the society and it was with his encouragement and support that I joined the board of trustees , I will sorely miss his advice and our occasional clashes.

RIP David.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
NickHitchcock
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: David Kirkbright RIP

Post by NickHitchcock »

Before I joined the BCSS three years ago I attended a meeting, David was at that meeting, his enthusiasm and encouragement (along with other members of the Northampton and MK branch) is one of the reasons I joined. I will miss him greatly from our meetings, the raffle will just not be the same.
RIP David.
Northampton and MK member
Paul in Essex
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTHEND-ON-SEA

Post by Paul in Essex »

That is such sad news. I guess most people will have a David story. I met him for the first time when I gave a talk at his branch and he put me up for the night. We ended up chatting until nearly 2am and stayed in touch afterwards. A big guy with a big personality (and a big car :) ) who is going to leave a big hole in the society and a lot people's lives.

RIP David. :sad:
www.oasisdesigns.co.uk

Exotic garden design.
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Very sad, having known David for all my years in the hobby, he will missed by all. I last bumped into David purely by chance in the Isles of Scilly, on two consecutive days on two different islands!

2019-06-05 056 blurb.jpg

RIP David.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

So, so sorry to hear of this untimely death.

David was such a larger than life figure. He exuded a vitality which it was hard not to be affected by. No microphone was needed by David at any of the major events we was helping with.

How many more good men are we to lose and nothing to do with the pandemic.

We are glad that we counted him a friend and will miss him dreadfully. Our heartfelt wishes go to his family.

Suzanne & Tony Mace
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Such a very sad loss to the society, condolences to his family, RIP David.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Sylvia
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Sylvia »

A very nice man. A great loss. R.I.P. David.
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I have never met him, but also for me he is still a familiar name and face. Quite a loss for the cacti and succulents community, again.
David V S
BCSS Member
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Vice-President

Post by David V S »

I was so shocked and saddened to hear at the talk last night that David Kirkbright had died. I have known David since he became Treasurer only retiring last year after 32 years.He was enormous support to me when I became Membership Secretary speaking at least twice a week assisting with queries and feeding information.
David was a mine of information, never stuck for an answer, always having the facts at hand. He was immensely knowledgeable of Accountancy, Tax and Charity Law saving the Society substantial amounts of money.
David was such a generous person, nothing was too much trouble, he would help anyone. He made a good Auctioneer at the Conventions and other events with his loud clear voice. He is going to leave a giant gap in the Society and will be sorely missed.
Sincere condolences to his family.

David Slade
David Slade
Former Membership Secretary
York Branch Member
Very long time grower since the early 50's
Interested in both North & South American Cacti and South African Succulents
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

I have inherited (in some way) David's adromischus collection five years ago. I've never met him in person but I'll never forget his kindness and will to help. Rest in peace David.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/