Currently have no suitable place to put my plants, is this suitable.  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Currently have no suitable place to put my plants, is this suitable.

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

Hi,
Last year I kept my plants on the garden table, much dismay to my parents. This year I want to give them a proper location. Will this cold frame/ greenhouse be ok? I will treat it and such to preserve its longevity.

I don't think I have enough plants to fill it up yet!.

Here is the link, its an aldi product with fairly good reviews.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/small-natural-wo ... 2443757600
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: Currently have no suitable place to put my plants, is this suitable.

Post by Acid John »

The lower shelves look like they will be shaded by the top she.
Acid John
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Currently have no suitable place to put my plants, is this suitable.  Solved

Post by edds »

The main answer would be yes, absolutely.

But, having used similar things in the past as overflow to rear hardy herbaceous plant seedlings and cuttings, there are two things I would watch out for.

1. See where water / condensation drips from the upper layer and if water can get in where the doors meet - for C&S this could lead to something getting a soaking when you don't want it to!

2. Site it carefully. Being small, the temperature inside can swing wildly. Get a decent maximum/minimum thermometer (there are digital ones that have remote sensors so you can monitor it from inside) and make sure it's well ventilated in on hot days and closed up on cold nights.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
FredG
Registered Guest

Post by FredG »

Those are in the stores tomorrow.

I was considering getting one to replace my little Sphagnum house :grin:
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

edds wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:48 pm 2. Site it carefully. Being small, the temperature inside can swing wildly. Get a decent maximum/minimum thermometer (there are digital ones that have remote sensors so you can monitor it from inside) and make sure it's well ventilated in on hot days and closed up on cold nights.
Thanks guys.

I was thinking of getting a little doodad that can open and close it automatically to keep it at sensible temperatures.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I'd stick with manually opening and closing as otherwise the wax cylinder types are too slow to react to a sunny spell and things in such a small space will boil before the cylinder can expand sufficiently.

They're great little spaces though and I was looking at a glass and aluminium one to be able to put some of my cacti in a sunnier spot than they are currently in in spring and early summer to encourage more flowering.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

Bringing this back up, I finally assembled it and put it in the garden, the risk of frost seems to be over so is it safe for the cacti to go in the garden yet?
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

NaZzAtAzEr wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:52 pm the risk of frost seems to be over so is it safe for the cacti to go in the garden yet?
It depends what you have. Hardy cacti, yes. Ones that like a tiny bit of warmth over winter, quite likely. Ones that need a lot of warmth year round, no. Healthy plants in good growth can often cope with brief overnight cold quite well, especially if daytime temps are high. Overnight lows of (say) 5 degrees aren't going to be a problem for most cacti. Unexpected frost is a greater risk, I'd say.

Beware of adjustment to sun levels - plants are very susceptible to burning at this time of year, especially if they have been overwintered in a lower light situation and are being introduced to longer or more intense exposure to sun.

With something that small, I'd remove the doors for most of the summer.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

NaZzAtAzEr wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:52 pm Bringing this back up, I finally assembled it and put it in the garden, the risk of frost seems to be over so is it safe for the cacti to go in the garden yet?
In this part of Surrey, between Leatherhead and Guildford, we've had a frost every night for the last 4 - 5 nights, with another forecast for tonight, so I wouldn't say that the risk of frost is over :wink:
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias