An ageing society

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: An ageing society

Post by Paul D »

It's a topic which comes up from time to time. Here's one from 2006: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34481&p=34481&hilit=age#p34481
I joined my first society committee about 45 years ago, as an enthusiastic youngster, in a group of people mainly aged 50+. A topic which was discussed was, how can we attract more young people to the society? Over the years I've been in a few other committees in various roles and the question comes up again and again.
I don't believe it is a problem. Occasionally there will be a young person or two with the motivation to get involved, and they might even get some of their friends involved, but by and large, young people don't have the time, the resources or the priorities to get involved in societies. Our society is, nevertheless, apparently quite healthy.

That's not to say that we should not be doing things to attract young people- we should, as those are the people who will (hopefully) eventually become members and experienced growers. I encourage visits from my local primary schools for example, and everyone goes away with a free seedling. None of them are going to join the BCSS but they may do in 30 years' time!

Regarding the forum, it provides a different function from facebook, reddit, instagram, tik-tok, and other disposable media. And that's the nub of it- it isn't disposable. Try searching facebook for a post about how to keep plants indoors. I would always go to the forum to ask for advice, and have done on numerous occasions. I wouldn't dream of asking on any of the other platforms, as anonymous people will give me the wrong advice, every kind of it. The great thing about the forum is that it is a reflection of BCSS and contains a wealth of experience and friendly, helpful people who are keen to help. Flippant or inflamatory comments are uncommon, perhaps in part because they don't just disappear into the ether the next day. Trolls, activists and general stirrers don't appear (much) :lol:. Of course every individual person is different and not everyone has the same teaching skills. I guess that what the "keep cold in a greenhouse" guy was trying to say was that growing cacti well inside a domestic house is a much harder thing to do.
The presence of experienced, wise experts on the forum may make it a little intimidating for beginners but that wealth of experience and bank of previous saved posts are the forum's huge and unique assets.
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

The great thing about the forum is that it is a reflection of BCSS and contains a wealth of experience and friendly, helpful people who are keen to help.
How nicely said I always find when searching google for help on a certain plant 'our forum ' is in the top 10 and its more likely to have useful information from someone thats actively grown it or killed it etc.
It may take a while for people to feel they can join in but even saying 'I like' or 'don't like that plant' you 'have seriously weird taste' people wont take offence.

I like it when you ask for a certain plant & forumites have spares to swap, give away or sell, it makes it a nice community.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Paul D
I think you have summed up the situation well. But I think that there is a good argument for the necessity for finding a suitable solution to the problem which will face the society as the aging membership ..... disappears. Yes social media platforms are transient and ephemeral but they are a fact of modern life and will not disappear ... they are here to stay. They are the only way in which many people communicate ... they don't see face to face as being important. Our old fashioned branch meetings therefore are just that ..... old fashioned. There are some wonderful YouTube videos on our plants, but what people fail to realise is that the growing conditions in California differ from the UK, in fact I cannot grow plants which grow well 20 miles away on the other side of the county because of the altitude difference. But going to a branch meeting gives the opportunity to meet people from the local area who experience similar issues .... where social media might not.
There has to be a compromise solution. I don't know what it is but I would like to be part of it. I don't think it's the status quo .... but I don't think it's the social media platform either.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
conolady
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by conolady »

There is a thriving community of young people interested in growing succulent plants of all kinds. There are many groups on FaceBook which have many enthusiastic posts and excellent advice being given. One soon gets to see which are the best ones to follow and there is always the private message option. It is noticeable that the BCSS is one of the most inactive groups.

By the way, there is a search option at the head of any group, which works well, contrary to the stated opinion that everything is ephemeral and a files section for more detailed, formal information.

I have made many lovely friends through FaceBook. Obviously there are rude idiots, but amazingly few on the well-run plant groups. One can report anything untoward and admin will delete it. The other great thing about the groups is that they aren’t cliquey. Many of the people who used to post regularly on here now do not do so, preferring to frequent FaceBook. There must be a reason for that.

And yes, the BCSS has missed the boat with the lack of a good website. Saying it will come one day hasn’t cut the mustard. Sad but true.
First it was orchids, then, since c.2001, cacti and succulents. I'm into South African plants, mainly conos, lithops and haworthias, with a few cacti, especially 'posh' mamms, turbs and other smalls. Now it’s stapeliads as well...