Dioscorea Elephantipes

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Dioscoria Elephantipes

Post by MatDz »

You might want to correct the subject line to Dioscorea elephantipes one day, unless my Google-fu failed me and that is actually a synonym :mrgreen:
Mat
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: Dioscorea Elephantipes

Post by Phil_SK »

I've changed the first but can't globally change all the others.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
David Neville
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by David Neville »

In response to esp's earlier query on D . elephantipes.... I keep the compost damp throughout the winter, but never too wet, and tend to completely avoid watering when the night time temperatures are consistently below zero. Here in Southampton, virtually on the south coast, it is rarely sub zero for more than a few nights in succession.
I confess to being previously unaware of D. strydomiana, apparently described only in recent years. Although the caudices of both young and older plants are virtually indistinguishable from D. elephantipes, the leaf shape is very distinct. The known distribution of the newer species in only a small area of Mpumalanga province would seem to differentiate it from D. elephantipes, along with differences in the flower and ovary. Growing seasons of the latter here in Europe are easily confused by different temperatures and growing regimes, so that plants can be found in growth at virtually any time of year, although of course it is still generally considered to be an autumn and winter grower.
David Neville
Secretary of Southampton & District Branch. BCSS member since 1977.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by esp »

David Neville wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:52 pm In response to esp's earlier query on D . elephantipes.... I keep the compost damp throughout the winter, but never too wet, and tend to completely avoid watering when the night time temperatures are consistently below zero. Here in Southampton, virtually on the south coast, it is rarely sub zero for more than a few nights in succession.
That's very helpful, thanks David. Clearly worth trying a seedling or 2 in the greenhouse over winter, even if I chicken out for a few nights and bring them inside when it's severely cold.
Ed
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Re: Dioscorea Elephantipes

Post by MikeT »

I had one for years just by the greenhouse door, which was open for ventilation in the daytime and only shut at night if weather forecast below -2C or thereabouts. Except when I didn't get round to closing it. It regularly had some snow in winter, didn't seem to mind in the least. Others lived in the house, so relatively pampered as far as temperature goes. No apparent difference in results between the 2 regimes. They really are quite tolerant.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525