Growing pachyphytum well

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
HaoBao
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRADFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Growing pachyphytum well

Post by HaoBao »

Does anyone on here grow pachyphytum well and know how to encourage leaves to be rounder?

Would more regular watering, less fertiliser and more light improve it or something else?

Some of mine are a bit etiolated and I don’t know if it’s from too much fertiliser, watering at the wrong time of year, not enough light or everything combined.
Attachments
E4A413AA-C309-449A-969F-050C8940F920.jpeg
771A6AFF-59A8-48CF-A7F0-D8B224A8667C.jpeg
76FB3965-4FCB-4060-A96C-7E7371071A5D.jpeg
Plant sales: www.CentralSucculents.etsy.com
Instagram: www.instagram.com/CentralSucculents
Reddit: www.reddit.com/u/CentralSucculents

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Re: Growing pachyphytum well

Post by StevenT »

Maximum light IS needed.
I think the shape of the leaves on your plants is ok (compare them with images on the Web). But the yellowing and darker patches of the outer leaves are not good - it appears those leaves are starting to die prematurely. Do you keep them dry in the winter? Pachyphytums do need some moisture through the winter to keep the roots alive.

Is that a top dressing of what appears to be akadama? Or is the whole potful like that? If it's all like that, then it is far too coarse and will not keep their roots alive.

if providing good light for your plants is a problem, then it would be better to move away from having a mixed collection and, instead, grow mainly plants which do well in less bright situations. Haworthias and gasterias are the obvious choices - there are lots of them and a society for them too as I think you will know.

Steven
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I'd be quite happy if I had some yellow leaves on my plants, it's a sort of unstable variegation which eventually repairs itself and grows out. There is a fine line between a variegated plant and a sick plant but this looks like variegation. There's a similar variegated P.Compactum which will produce variegated plants from leaves, it looks like the leaves in the photo are producing some variegated plants but it does have a bad habit of reverting to normal.
Stuart
HaoBao
BCSS Member

Post by HaoBao »

Hi Steven, thanks for having a look, I’m not sure which leaves you mean when you say they are dying early though, there are a couple of orange/yellow leaves on the right side of the last photo, but I don’t know which ones are darker.

I tend to water these whenever their leaves wrinkle underneath, usually every 3-4 weeks I guess. The soil they’re in is just akadama and I’ve been looking at what to switch it to for a while now and have been testing some different types and sizes.

This is what I’m thinking of, some more quicker drying material mixed in and a bit smaller too.
D3F81DEE-8A50-4460-8912-5E57F1FD72EA.jpeg
I did make a mistake of getting addicted and buying too many different plants (Partly Stuart’s fault at my first BCSS show and his eBay shop haha, he did warn me that it’s addictive though to be fair) I have a bunch of haworthia that seem ok on their own shelf, they have two LED tube lights above them whereas the other plants have got 3. The haworthia are just taking on a bit of colour and are growing more compact so I think they are ok now in their new spot.

For the other plants like Pachyphytum and Echeveria I’m still wondering if the lights are ok. Someone else told me I was fertilising too much so I thought I’ll cut down on that and see what happens. My whole collection has been moving around a bit recently, moving house, getting a bit neglected, and then getting different lights so it’s a bit hard to tell, especially as they grow so slowly.

Stuart, please don’t tell me they revert to normal haha, I’m worried now, this was my special plant. I might have to try making some more props.

All my plants are kept indoors and I started collecting in August 2018. Favourites are Pachyphytum, Echeveria, Haworthia, Mesembs and oddball Cacti.
StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by StevenT »

OK. Well, to me all variegated plants look sick! Very sick...! :grin:

I have no experience of growing under lights, but I presume you saw the article on growing echeverias under lights in a recent CactusWorld?
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!
HaoBao
BCSS Member

Post by HaoBao »

Im afraid I didn’t see the article, I have only a few copies of Cactusworld as I haven’t been a member for long and I have some missing too after moving house which doesn’t help. Do you know if it was written by the BCSS member Lisa from Scotland?