Euphorbia succulenta

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
FredG
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Euphorbia succulenta

Post by FredG »

I recently acquired a plant of Euphorbia succulenta and whilst pondering what to put on the label I checked out the progression of the taxonomy.

So we have Euphorbia succulenta (Schweick.) Bruyns 2007 syn. Euphorbia neostapelioides Bruyns 2006 syn. Monadenium succulentum Schweick. 1935 syn. Monadenium stapelioides Pax 1909.

The plant was sold as Monadenium stapelioides which went out in 1935 so really, just how long does it take to get a new name into common usage. Will this plant be commonly known as Euphorbia succulenta this century?

It only took Bruyns a year to change his mind so maybe the question should be. What will it be called next week?
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Euphorbia succulenta

Post by Tina »

I rarely change the labels from when I first get them so its anyone's guess, just admire the plants & not the labels.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

And I am on the opposite end of the "re-labellers", but also admire the plants, not the labels!

(E.g., how could one not re-label a plant to a Baculellum articulatum?!)
Mat
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

FredG wrote:So we have Euphorbia succulenta (Schweick.) Bruyns 2007 syn. Euphorbia neostapelioides Bruyns 2006 syn. Monadenium succulentum Schweick. 1935 syn. Monadenium stapelioides Pax 1909.

The plant was sold as Monadenium stapelioides which went out in 1935 [...] It only took Bruyns a year to change his mind
Slightly different interpretation:
1909 - Pax describes Monadenium stapelioides.
1935 - Schweickerdt describes M. succulentum, believing it to be different.
unknown date - these two become treated as synonyms, with M. stapelioides, the older name, being used and M. succulenta becoming forgotten in time.
2006 - Bruyns wants to move Monadenium stapelioides into Euphorbia but can't call it Euphorbia stapelioides because there's already a [different] plant using that name, so coins a replacement name, E. neostapelioides.
2007 - realises that there was an old forgotten synonym that should have been used on transferring it to Euphorbia, so creates the name Euphorbia succulenta formally.

I don't know anything about monadeniums but could imagine that Monadenium stapelioides has long use and is well established in growers' minds.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

I never, ever relabel I add additional labels. :twisted:
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

Phil_SK wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:19 pm 2006 - Bruyns wants to move Monadenium succulentum into Euphorbia but can't call it Euphorbia succulenta because there's already a [different] plant using that name, so coins a replacement name, E. neostapelioides.
Did you mean:
2006 - Bruyns wants to move Monadenium stapelioides into Euphorbia but can't call it Euphorbia stapelioides because there's already a [different] plant using that name, so coins a replacement name, E. neostapelioides.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
David Neville
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by David Neville »

This year marks the 50th anniversary of the kindling of my interest in succulent plants, and in all that time I cannot recall ever seeing this particular species labelled as anything other than Monadenium stapelioides. I realise that I am imminent danger of being considered 'an old stick-in-the-mud', but there's not much likelihood that I will ever consider it to be anything other than a Monadenium.
Perhaps the fact that I still use names such as Notocactus, Lobivia and Cochemiea are indicators of the years I have enjoyed in this wonderful hobby. It's amazing how the passing of time alters your perception and acceptance of proposed taxonomic changes.
David Neville
Secretary of Southampton & District Branch. BCSS member since 1977.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I'm with PhilSK
I add a new label with the new data
Or
Add the new data to a new copy of the old label data
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Phil_SK

Post by Phil_SK »

Pattock wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:08 pm
Phil_SK wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:19 pm 2006 - Bruyns wants to move Monadenium succulentum into Euphorbia but can't call it Euphorbia succulenta because there's already a [different] plant using that name, so coins a replacement name, E. neostapelioides.
Did you mean:
I did. :oops: :conf: I'll fix the original! Cheers,
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I do some write the latest name on the other side of the label, does that make me Bi-label
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.