Help with I.D please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW

Help with I.D please

Post by EdMcKenna »

I am trying to positively identify some of my cacti, any suggestions welcome.
They are at least 25-30 years old, probably underpotted and neglected through ignorance. Of course all this will change now I've joined the BCSS :razz:

The single specimen I think is Pilosocereus pachycladus but I don't have anything for the double potted cacti.
Attachments
Whats this.jpg
20210328_140256.jpg
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Help with I.D please

Post by Stuart »

Cereus Forbesii is a possibility for the first one.

Stuart
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member
Branch: GLASGOW

Re: Help with I.D please

Post by EdMcKenna »

Thanks Stuart for your reply, it does look closer to Cereus forbesii than to any other Cereus I've checked, although the descriptor for forbesii says usually six ribs and this has four.
I often find when looking for i.d. I get a bit hung up on exact numbers of ribs and axial/radial spines and I've wondered if I should relax this attitude to take into account natural variability or if this is me being lazy. As a result I tend to look for descriptions and photographs which perfectly match mine :???: Mainly to no avail.
It adds to my confusion when for example Lliffle online encyclopedia have a C.forbesii pictured as a 5metre high tree.