Labels

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
SimonR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Labels

Post by SimonR »

I’m down to my last handful of labels! These are by far the best ones I’ve had and these were rescued from my Dad’s greenhouse some years ago. They’re 100mm x 16mm, made from a particularly UV-resistant plastic and are perfect for writing on with a soft 2B pencil.

Does anyone please know where I can source similar labels with these greenhouse-friendly properties?

Thanks
Attachments
B1ECCAAD-CE7B-4736-907F-C9FB25C69111.jpeg
Interested in hardy cacti, specifically the few that will thrive outside in the UK.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Labels

Post by iann »

Are those the really flexible ones, almost like paper? They seem to last forever. The stiff, slightly translucent ones, that are everywhere now are hopeless and disintegrate after a few years. I have some better-quality stiff opaque white ones but I'm also down to my last few and can't find them anywhere.
Cheshire, UK
SimonR
BCSS Member

Post by SimonR »

iann wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:55 pm Are those the really flexible ones, almost like paper? They seem to last forever. The stiff, slightly translucent ones, that are everywhere now are hopeless and disintegrate after a few years. I have some better-quality stiff opaque white ones but I'm also down to my last few and can't find them anywhere.
Yes Iann, these are the flexible ones - and yet sturdy enough to dive down straight into the corner of a pot. They’re also about 30 years old - my Dad was wise to buy a job lot at the time! Like you, I’ve had some terrible ones recently - ones that crumble in sunlight after a couple of years, ones that won’t let you write on them in pencil. These are perfect, but nigh on impossible to find!
Interested in hardy cacti, specifically the few that will thrive outside in the UK.
Darren S
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Darren S »

https://www.angloscottish.net/plastic-s ... n-19-c.asp

These are superb. Last for many years and easily writable on with pencil. The SRGC used to sell them at alpine shows.

The downside is the carriage costs!
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
SimonR
BCSS Member

Post by SimonR »

Darren S wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:45 pm https://www.angloscottish.net/plastic-s ... n-19-c.asp

These are superb. Last for many years and easily writable on with pencil. The SRGC used to sell them at alpine shows.

The downside is the carriage costs!
They do look like exactly what I’m after, but £12 p&p is prohibitive. Thanks though, my best option so far 👍
Mike P
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by Mike P »

They look like the ones I bought from the AGS a couple of years ago. If they are they are the ones very good and take pencil well.
Mike
Secretary Bromley Branch
Darren S
BCSS Member

Post by Darren S »

Mike P wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:03 pm They look like the ones I bought from the AGS a couple of years ago. If they are they are the ones very good and take pencil well.
They probably were the same Mike. The SRGC and AGS used to split the packs into bundles of 100 to sell on at shows. For certain the SRGC got them from Anglo-Scottish.
Darren nr Lancaster UK. Growing Conophytum, Lobivia, Sulcorebutia, bulbs etc.
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

I use white plastic Pylon labels. It's the only thing I've found that can stand the CA sun and not crumble in a year or so. I have labels going for close to 10 years now, exposed all year long to the sun and other than some discoloration they're still fine. They are the sturdy, molded type, not the floppy kind and come in 4"-6" sizes (I prefer the shorter ones, the long ones are just too tall).

They're not super cheap (about $40/1000) but well worth their price since everything else just disintegrates within a year or two at most.
wildedges
Registered Guest

Post by wildedges »

Chinagraph pencils will write on anything and the writing seems to last really well with no smudging or fading. Just in case anyone hasn't tried them yet.