Don’t worry about moss!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Don’t worry about moss!

Post by Ali Baba »

There are a few posts about seed raising where people fret about moss. In my experience moss isn’t a problem as seedlings develop quite happily amidst the moss and it soon dries up when the plants leave a humid environment. Here is a seedling Parodia sanguiniflora, the seeds are minute and seedlings correspondingly tiny. Only one seed germinated in the pot and it spent 2 years in the propagator invisible below a carpet of moss.
Attachments
6B33CEF1-1BE2-4E63-89A4-B2C9DEB0FE6E.jpeg
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: Don’t worry about moss!

Post by rodsmith »

This has been my experience too. I've never lost a seedling in a moss covered pot, and I've had a few over the years. Damping-off is the real killer of seedlings.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Seen a few Zoom presentations, recently, of trips to the far flung locations on this planet, wherein the presenter commented upon seedlings growing quite well, in the wild, tucked comfortably in a pocket of mossy material, in the nook of a hillside. Then we have those who pontificate upon following exactly, the conditions in the wild to achieve successful seed raising, but sterilise the compost and such treatments. I think comment is superfluous.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

el48tel wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:31 am Seen a few Zoom presentations, recently, of trips to the far flung locations on this planet, wherein the presenter commented upon seedlings growing quite well, in the wild, tucked comfortably in a pocket of mossy material, in the nook of a hillside. Then we have those who pontificate upon following exactly, the conditions in the wild to achieve successful seed raising, but sterilise the compost and such treatments. I think comment is superfluous.
Wouldn't this be a very classic example of survivorship bias?
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:17 am
el48tel wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:31 am Seen a few Zoom presentations, recently, of trips to the far flung locations on this planet, wherein the presenter commented upon seedlings growing quite well, in the wild, tucked comfortably in a pocket of mossy material, in the nook of a hillside. Then we have those who pontificate upon following exactly, the conditions in the wild to achieve successful seed raising, but sterilise the compost and such treatments. I think comment is superfluous.
Wouldn't this be a very classic example of survivorship bias?
Of the plants? Or the experts?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Both really :mrgreen:

But I had the plants/seeds in mind. Under consideration here are examples of the seeds that made it, how many of the seedlings did not make it in the same pockets of moss? And how the odds differ while exposed to other conditions?

Sowing seeds "in captivity" is all about maximising the "return of investment", I would feel pretty sad with a 1/1000 germination rate (which seems to be the case for my Crassulas and Tylecodons now...), which is probably quite okay in the wild.

Please remember I write all of this from a very amateur succulent connoisseur's and a tad more professional "statistician"'s point of few!
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:58 pm Both really :mrgreen:

But I had the plants/seeds in mind. Under consideration here are examples of the seeds that made it, how many of the seedlings did not make it in the same pockets of moss? And how the odds differ while exposed to other conditions?

Sowing seeds "in captivity" is all about maximising the "return of investment", I would feel pretty sad with a 1/1000 germination rate (which seems to be the case for my Crassulas and Tylecodons now...), which is probably quite okay in the wild.

Please remember I write all of this from a very amateur succulent connoisseur's and a tad more professional "statistician"'s point of few!
Absolutely.
And I would throw in an additional thought or two. Would the ones which failed in the moss environment, have changed the course of evolution, had they survived? By creating artificial environments, do we change the course of evolution?
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

el48tel wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:31 am Then we have those who pontificate upon following exactly, the conditions in the wild to achieve successful seed raising, but sterilise the compost and such treatments.
On the other hand, sphagnum moss has been used to make wound dressings... :grin:
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
FredG
Registered Guest

Post by FredG »

el48tel wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:17 pm By creating artificial environments, do we change the course of evolution?
Not just the artificial environment. The Human selection of plants we find more 'worthy' and not natural selection of the fittest alters the path plants would benefit by.
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

el48tel wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:17 pm Absolutely.
And I would throw in an additional thought or two. Would the ones which failed in the moss environment, have changed the course of evolution, had they survived? By creating artificial environments, do we change the course of evolution?
FredG wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:23 pm
el48tel wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:17 pm By creating artificial environments, do we change the course of evolution?
Not just the artificial environment. The Human selection of plants we find more 'worthy' and not natural selection of the fittest alters the path plants would benefit by.
But does the cultivation really impact the wildlife? It's hard to imagine the crested and variegated Echeverias from our gardens impacting biodiversity of Mexico.
Mat