Gymnocalycium id

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tony R
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Gymnocalycium id

Post by Tony R »

Many of these plants originate from Dutch nurseries. Here are just a few (hundred thousand) G. baldianum at one of them.

2010-03-27  van der linden.jpg
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Jura
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Jura »

This an ocean of baldianum! I can only imagine how fantastic this nursery looks like if any of those baldianums flower!

It is a very hard one to actually pin point on what it is.. I think I picked up it in homebase because I just couldn't id when I was in shop and if I can't id its mine. I think the only way to actually know more about its to wait until it flowers.

Its a nightmare to identify gymnos, so many variations...
Skribbane
Registered Guest
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Post by Skribbane »

Got a very similar one as the original post from my local garden centre recently as well - probably the same batch of imports. I got to G. moserianium when I was attempting to ID it - more based on the similarity of appearance when I looked at recent wholesaler offers than any botanical rigor though!
Vice-chair Sheffield branch & Internet Committee member. @xericdelights on Instagram. 700 plants later and I still haven't picked a favourite genus!