Sempervivum 'Gold Nugget'

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
jay3
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Member

Sempervivum 'Gold Nugget'

Post by jay3 »

Got this Semp for my outdoor bed and wanted to share some photos. Highly recommend it - really gives that exotic succulent look while being hardy.

Last edited by jay3 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Sempervivum 'Gold Nugget'

Post by edds »

It is a lovely one Jay. Mine is much smaller than yours at the moment.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

(tu)
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

This one is marketed under the 'Chick Charms' brand and is available at some garden centres. Quite a few sold under this brand have been renamed with more 'commercial' names which adds the problem of the same plant being sold under more than name.
Gold Nugget Nov20.JPG
Gold Nugget Ap21.JPG
Gold Nugget Apr21a.JPG
The first photo was taken last November when it was looking rather dull and green. The other two photos were taken this morning and it has coloured up well but I've not found it easy like most Sempervivums. I've lost one a year ago and of the two replacements I've bought, one lost the main head and just has a few smaller offsets. The mixed trays at garden centres only have two or three in and they're usually the first to sell as they sell on their 'prettiness factor' but they can be tricky to grow.

Stuart
jay3
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW

Post by jay3 »

Stuart wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:27 pm This one is marketed under the 'Chick Charms' brand and is available at some garden centres. Quite a few sold under this brand have been renamed with more 'commercial' names which adds the problem of the same plant being sold under more than name.
Gold Nugget Nov20.JPGGold Nugget Ap21.JPGGold Nugget Apr21a.JPG
The first photo was taken last November when it was looking rather dull and green. The other two photos were taken this morning and it has coloured up well but I've not found it easy like most Sempervivums. I've lost one a year ago and of the two replacements I've bought, one lost the main head and just has a few smaller offsets. The mixed trays at garden centres only have two or three in and they're usually the first to sell as they sell on their 'prettiness factor' but they can be tricky to grow.

Stuart
Yes, I think there's also a trademark issue with the cultivars that Chris Hansen has bred. I've noticed that too with the 'Sunsparkler' brand of Hylotelephiums online, which I don't have personally. That said, I've been quite impressed with the look of the 'Chick Charms' range so far, I have 'Silver Suede' and 'Berry Blue' too, but it's clear 'Gold Nugget' is the standout of the range.

Nice plants by the way, it seems like Spring is the season when they really stand out. Mine is a fairly new purchase, so will have to see how it fares in the winter wet, since I suppose the snow-covered Michigan winters where these were bred are quite different from our own rainy ones.