Can anyone identify?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW

Can anyone identify?

Post by EdMcKenna »

Hi, I purchased these small cacti and wondered if anyone can assist with identification especially number 3 of which I've never seen anything like.
I've tried to identify but come up with the usual problem that most books and web pages have pictures of mature not juvenile specimens. I thought:- 1- Frailea. 2 - Turbinicarpus. 3 - ????????? 4 - Mammillaria and Disocactus.
Any suggestions welcome. Thanks :smile:

BTW they were all between £1.30 and £1.50 each and are larger than my own 2 year old seedlings, I seen the exact same suppliers trays in 3 garden centres. It makes me wonder just how many of these the nurseries ship out and given the cost of coming from Europe how can they make a profit? It also makes me realise they must be very good at raising from seed given the numbers and variety available, respect to them.
Attachments
New cacti 08042021.jpg
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Can anyone identify?

Post by Diane »

Not sure about #1.

#2 is Matucana madisoniorum.

#3 is Euphorbia bupleurifolia x susannae (a hybrid).

#4 is an Echinopsis.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member

Post by EdMcKenna »

Thanks Diane for posting.
I thought no.3 might have been a Euphorbia because it has 'real' leaves but I've never seen one before so now I can broaden my search. I'm looking at a book right now, you are spot on with M.madisonoreum, what a variety difference from almost no spines to very spiny.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

I think number 1 might be an Echinopsis too with a healthy dose of 'Lobivia' in it.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

No.1. Notocactus

Stuart
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Is pot 4 one plant or two? The spination looks somewhat different on the 2 heads. The left looks a typical Echinopsis of the oxygona group; not sure the right is the same
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

No.4 is. Notocactus and a Lobivia/Echinopsis. The sowing machine sometimes puts two seeds in one pot.
Stuart
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member

Post by EdMcKenna »

Thank you for the suggestions.
Pot 4 is two different plants. The one on the left as suggested initially by Diane, I now believe to be Echinopsisis eyriesii (not a Mamm. as I originally thought)the one on the right I still can't determine, I'm thinking might be a Ferrocactus (histrix?) it has very angular ribs.
I no longer think no.1 is a Frailea, it is similar in shape and spination to Notocactus floricomus except this one has 18 ribs, 10 white radial spines and 1 large dark brown/black axial central spine. :???:
It can be confusing, which is why I do appreciate the input from more experienced cactophiles to point me in the right direction, thank you all :grin:
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

The best way to name plants is to show the photos here and there will usually be more than one reply with the same name. The worst way is to try to name plants using Google images.

Stuart
EdMcKenna
BCSS Member

Post by EdMcKenna »

I try not to use google images, the number of obviously wrong images is always very high.
I have 4 decent books but not quite up to date and I use Llifle.com a lot but they seem to be having server/bandwidth issues.
I find nothing really beats a fellow grower who says "I have that" whether it be a plant, pest or other related issue. :grin: