Astrophytum flowering in different colours

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Jura
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DUBLIN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Astrophytum flowering in different colours

Post by Jura »

Hey guys,

As per usual I was looking through ebay to see if I can spot a nice and rather cheap cacti, and I stumbled on this one. It left me utterly confused, the only other cactus I've seen doing this was lophophora williamsii pentagona. Is there any explanation to why a specimen would shoot out 2 different color flowers at the same time? Could this be something lighting related or fertiliser related? And what are the chances for them to do this every year? Both of them are grafted on pereskiopsis.
Attachments
20210411_092938.jpg
20210411_092949.jpg
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Re: Astrophytum flowering in different colours

Post by Stuart »

The new flower colour on the flowers nearest the growing point is a typical yellow, as they age, quite a few Astrophytum flowers tend to turn a pinkish colour before they drop. I would expect the pink-looking flowers actually started off as yellow.

Stuart
Jura
BCSS Member
Branch: DUBLIN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Astrophytum flowering in different colours

Post by Jura »

This is very interesting! Is it something that had been documented within genus?