Has anyone tried the peat-free John Innes?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Has anyone tried the peat-free John Innes?

Post by Ernie »

I have started to use peat free compost in some of my patio pots and hanging baskets. I got it from Dobbies. Looks like mashed up carpet and wool. As an experiment I have planted up two identical Fushias, one in a premium peat based compost and the other in the peat free.
I also bought from Dobbies some peat free cactus and succulent compost, giving that a try. There's little doubt that peat based composts are on the way out. (like cash- IC cars and gas central heating)
I have stopped using JI composts found far too much rubbish in it.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Ernie wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:30 am I have started to use peat free compost in some of my patio pots and hanging baskets. I got it from Dobbies. Looks like mashed up carpet and wool. As an experiment I have planted up two identical Fushias, one in a premium peat based compost and the other in the peat free.
I also bought from Dobbies some peat free cactus and succulent compost, giving that a try. There's little doubt that peat based composts are on the way out. (like cash- IC cars and gas central heating)
I have stopped using JI composts found far too much rubbish in it.
It will be interesting to see the results of your tests.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Things have taken a new turn with the confirmation that sales of peat-based composts will be banned from 2024. Thank goodness - at last - after a decade of refusal by the industry to comply with advice which was only just that - advisory and not compulsory.

The devil is in the detail, whether the ban means imported plants will be required to be potted in peatless compost, etc etc. Either a ban is inclusive or it is just skirting the issue.

And just what is this "consultation" to take place before the ban is implemented?
Pattock
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Pattock »

Are the government also going to ban burning of peatland by grouse-shooters? They don't seem to have mentioned that.

The sale of peat-based compost to amateur growers will be banned in 2024. Commercial growers must keep paying bribes to their MPs if they expect to carry on using peat after another fudged decade or two.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Pattock wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 8:26 pm Are the government also going to ban burning of peatland by grouse-shooters? They don't seem to have mentioned that.

The sale of peat-based compost to amateur growers will be banned in 2024. Commercial growers must keep paying bribes to their MPs if they expect to carry on using peat after another fudged decade or two.
You forget .... "countryside activities" aka hunting .. shooting ... fishing ... account for a great deal of income for areas in which employment is otherwise low. The employees may not be financially secure but the employers are ... and probably put cash into the coffers of the political parties of the country. Keeping peasants off the land, and "managing" the land as they wish, aka peat land clearance, is in the financial interest of those who control and legislate.
Please do not label me as a supporter .... I'm just saying how it is.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.