Ariocarpus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Acid John
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: Ariocarpus

Post by Acid John »

He paid someone for those plants.
They benefited financially.
They will now go and dig some more up.
Stopping the money supply will halt the trade in illegal plants.
Ok it will not stop environmental damage but it is a start.
Acid John
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

Diane wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:43 pm I see that all the listings for this seller have been ended due to “an error in the listing”, so maybe a complaint was acted on!
All they have done is relisted them..... (td)
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

Has someone who is confident in their knowledge of these plants reported these to eBay and the police as suggested earlier?

According to this document,
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... NppKQgSds3

It needs reporting to the police via 101 as it isn't urgent.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

I get a little annoyed when I read these threads. There are a number of people who post regularly on this forum , and others in the BCSS who don't make public comments, who have habitat collected plants in their collection either from Specks or visiting ELK and other places. I used to have them but saw the light.
I have said it before but here again; the BCSS should ban from the national shows any plant known or indeed suspected to have been habitat collected at any time in the recent or distant past. Its no good just saying we don't like the practice of habitat collecting, do something about it. If that means a BCSS member or two is aggrieved at not being able to pick up a prize or two then so be it. Time to get a real grip not just throw out platitudes or sound bites.
Sorry, but moaning about the ebay seller is not going to stop anything.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

'Distant past'. Everything we have is derived from material that was habitat collected.
Acid John
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

It is unfortunate that we have done so many wrongs, that we are now trying to correct in the public eye, whilst trying to hide them and "forget" that we made those errors in the not too distant past
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Ernie wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:47 am I get a little annoyed when I read these threads. There are a number of people who post regularly on this forum , and others in the BCSS who don't make public comments, who have habitat collected plants in their collection either from Specks or visiting ELK and other places. I used to have them but saw the light.
I have said it before but here again; the BCSS should ban from the national shows any plant known or indeed suspected to have been habitat collected at any time in the recent or distant past. Its no good just saying we don't like the practice of habitat collecting, do something about it. If that means a BCSS member or two is aggrieved at not being able to pick up a prize or two then so be it. Time to get a real grip not just throw out platitudes or sound bites.
Sorry, but moaning about the ebay seller is not going to stop anything.
el48tel wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:26 am It is unfortunate that we have done so many wrongs, that we are now trying to correct in the public eye, whilst trying to hide them and "forget" that we made those errors in the not too distant past
Banning from shows sounds like a good idea, but what else are you both suggesting should be done? Should all habitat collected plants, even if obtained fully legally "then", be seized and destroyed? What's the point of that or similar actions?
Mat
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Oh change the record Ernie, you have had 3 or 4 collections you sold off, all with habitat collected plant, you used to boast about your Specks plant and being friends with Ernst & c Roy Mottram, you didn't see the light & have those Ant plants that were ex-habitat.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I wouldn't like to be the judge that had to explain to an exhibitor why he banned a 50 year Aztekium they'd grown from seed because it looked the same as they do in habitat.

Stuart
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

Don't get personal Tina (Mods please note) Please feel free to attack the message but lets not be personal.
Yes for many years I had habitat collected plants many of which were bought by members of this forum including you when I sold up.
I did see the light and yes I could now still afford to buy the biggest and best habitat collected plants available through various sources if I was so minded but I don't, I am not a hypocrite.
As for the ant plant, get real Tina they are raised in a nursery in the far east.
You wont shut me up and your motivation for trying is obvious.
As for banning suspected habitat collected plants from the national show, that would sent out a clear message. It would also mean people like yourself who have many such plants would enjoy them at home without the wider public knowing you have them.

There will come a time quite soon I think when owning such plants will be akin to having ivory, wont be able to sell them at all. The BCSS needs to do more than just say they don't support habitat collecting and wont have them displayed on this forum or elsewhere. Times change and we have to change with them, CITES has been around for some time now, hobbyists and the society need to move with the times which are now very much conservation driven.

BTW Mods. The report a post does not work.
Last edited by Ernie on Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'