Ariocarpus

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ross M
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Ariocarpus

Post by Ross M »

Some interesting Ariocarpus for sale on a well known online auction site at the moment. The seller appears to have quite a few
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Re: Ariocarpus

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I looked at that sale and wondered....looks like a mature collection being sold off.
Several of the Arios have lost their roots. How would the experts recommend bringing them back to their prime? I don’t think my skills with Ariocarpus would be enough.
Some lovely looking plants there, though.
Ross M
BCSS Member

Post by Ross M »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:51 pm I looked at that sale and wondered....looks like a mature collection being sold off.
Several of the Arios have lost their roots. How would the experts recommend bringing them back to their prime? I don’t think my skills with Ariocarpus would be enough.
Some lovely looking plants there, though.
The clue to their origins appears to be in the description title i.e. (wild)
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Ross M wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:17 pm The clue to their origins appears to be in the description title i.e. (wild)
This, and the fact that the seller has no feedback at all, could suggest there is something rather shady happening.
Mat
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

The roots are probably still in Texas
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I understand the scepticism, but it may be harsh. Look at the full set of plants on offer and they are from all over the place, globally. There are also a mix of ages.
I think a more likely explanation than illegal import is that the seller is a son/daughter facing the sad task of disposing of their parent’s collection. Look at Tony Iron’s listing now and you will see an example of collection disposal. Lack of any feedback is understandable if that is the case.
I won’t be bidding, I don’t think those Arios will recover.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

Cidermanrolls wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:32 am I understand the scepticism, but it may be harsh. Look at the full set of plants on offer and they are from all over the place, globally. There are also a mix of ages.
I think a more likely explanation than illegal import is that the seller is a son/daughter facing the sad task of disposing of their parent’s collection. Look at Tony Iron’s listing now and you will see an example of collection disposal. Lack of any feedback is understandable if that is the case.
I won’t be bidding, I don’t think those Arios will recover.
I'd completely agree, except the Arios are unpotted for some reason. Their description as "Wild" may or may not refer to them being an original collection from habitat, many years ago.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

They look like habitat plants, years ago I got one of these from a contact I don't think it ever acclimatised, often they are unpotted for a really long time and just take a few years to die.
Your better with a grafted plant grow it to size and de-graft it, you will have a much better looking plant that grows well in cultivation.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

At least one of those looks to have grown in a crack in the ground.
Acid John
David Neville
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by David Neville »

Not much doubt that they are recently collected from habitat, and its shocking how much of the root system has been hacked off in the process. The only way that these can have been imported into the UK is by smuggling, deception, or lying on the customs import declarations so that customs were not remotely concerned that live plant material might be included in the parcel. The latter is most likely, because many UK and European sellers, both professional and amateur, seem happy to flout the international plant health regulations and seem to think its OK to send and receive plants in contravention of these
rules.
David Neville
Secretary of Southampton & District Branch. BCSS member since 1977.