2020 Hildewinteras and a question

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
AndrewB
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

2020 Hildewinteras and a question

Post by AndrewB »

Hi,

Some of my Hildewintera flowers from last year, got some buds forming again this year so these are really something to look forward to!
H. ‘Noller 2’ x T.vasquezianus
H. ‘Noller 2’ x T.vasquezianus
H. ‘Honeymouth’
H. ‘Honeymouth’
H. ‘Sweet Temptation’
H. ‘Sweet Temptation’

Does anyone know what the breeding of H. ‘Sweet Temptation’ is? I’ve had a google to no avail. To my eyes the H. ‘Sweet Temptation’ plant form looks very similar to the Noller 2 x T. vasquezianus hybrid, and its flowers are similarly coloured although much, much more spectacular. I wonder if they are related?

I successfully hybridised the two last year, although have not had any germination yet. Even if the potential flowers are worse, the speed of growth, winter tolerance and form should enable the seedlings to make exceptionally grafting stock! Didn’t get many seeds, which was a surprise considering the plants, will try to remake the crossing this year.
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
David Neville
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Re: 2020 Hildewinteras and a question

Post by David Neville »

Fab flowers, but these are not strictly Hildewinteras, they are Hildewintera hybrids, which is a whole new kettle of fish ..... to quote an old and attractive saying.

There are numerous hybrids now, both simple and complex, ie hybrids of intergeneric hybrids, crossed with other similar hybrids, all an ongoing mixed result of crosses between related genera within this grouping of the Cactaceae, and the direct parentage of any of them will never again be determined. Nonetheless, there are some really beautifully flowered plants among them, the likes of which we have never before seen. As a result of the crazy hybridization history behind their production, I think the only sensible way forward is for individual cultivar names for any future introductions of merit.
David Neville
Secretary of Southampton & District Branch. BCSS member since 1977.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Great flowers Andrew, hoping for more of mine to flower this year too.

Can't find too much on 'Sweet Temptation' except the following on a Chinese site,
Screenshot_20210414-220138.png
It at least suggests a breeder which might be a future line of enquiry in your searches?

On holiday at the moment and can't remember if either of the two crosses of this I have from you have germinated or not - will check at the weekend and let you know.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

gorgeous flowers
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
AndrewB
BCSS Member

Post by AndrewB »

Hi David,

Yes, I know they are hybrids thanks. Perhaps I should have been more specific, pardon the pun!

Ed, thanks for the information. I forgot to check Mattslandscape, that site often has a lot of details. As a point of interest though, Vers Kakteen which is referenced on the photo is where I got the cutting from. I would appreciate knowing exactly what has germinated of the seed I swapped with you.

Terry, thanks :grin:
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Hi Andrew,
Here you go - 'Sweet Temptation' x 'Daydream' seedlings.
PXL_20210416_192141434.jpg
Ed

BCSS member 53038
AndrewB
BCSS Member

Post by AndrewB »

Ed,

They are growing nicely :grin: A three cotyledon seedling in the top right corner there.

Any of the others sprouted yet?
Andrew