Bug hunt surfari

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Bug hunt surfari

Post by Ernie »

Every day for the last month I have ventured out into the greenhouse armed with a bottle of meths (note its no substitute for a good malt! :lol: :wink: ) and cotton wool buds. Lifted every pot and checked every plant for mealy bugs. (they live on the staging) A lot have been dispatched however today I have been and checked all nooks and crannies, not one of the pests to be seen anywhere. At last I seem to have won the battle!

BTW For the benefit of those who have lived a sheltered life and not had to deal with the less fortunate in society, back in the day meths was drunk by down and outs/tramps. Not recommended but it sure does kill mealy bugs stone dead instantly.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Re: Bug hunt surfari

Post by el48tel »

Ernie wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:23 pm Every day for the last month I have ventured out into the greenhouse armed with a bottle of meths (note its no substitute for a good malt! :lol: :wink: ) and cotton wool buds. Lifted every pot and checked every plant for mealy bugs. (they live on the staging) A lot have been dispatched however today I have been and checked all nooks and crannies, not one of the pests to be seen anywhere. At last I seem to have won the battle!

BTW For the benefit of those who have lived a sheltered life and not had to deal with the less fortunate in society, back in the day meths was drunk by down and outs/tramps. Not recommended but it sure does kill mealy bugs stone dead instantly.
Ernie
My bottle of meths lives in the GH. It's a spray bottle. I take no prisoners!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
FredG
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by FredG »

el48tel wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:55 pm It's a spray bottle. I take no prisoners!
Taking no prisoners would be lighting the spray :twisted:
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

el48tel wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:55 pm
Ernie wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:23 pm Every day for the last month I have ventured out into the greenhouse armed with a bottle of meths (note its no substitute for a good malt! :lol: :wink: ) and cotton wool buds. Lifted every pot and checked every plant for mealy bugs. (they live on the staging) A lot have been dispatched however today I have been and checked all nooks and crannies, not one of the pests to be seen anywhere. At last I seem to have won the battle!

Ernie
My bottle of meths lives in the GH. It's a spray bottle. I take no prisoners!
I wear my spray bottle in a low slung holster like cowboys do in the westerns.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

A surfari?

Making waves again Ernie?
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

FredG wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:09 pm
el48tel wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:55 pm It's a spray bottle. I take no prisoners!
Taking no prisoners would be lighting the spray :twisted:
As you wish!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

So is meths better than white spirit (and no, I don't mean to drink!)?
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

JonNo wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:11 am So is meths better than white spirit (and no, I don't mean to drink!)?
There was some confusion last time we had this discussion. Meths is ethanol laced with methanol and dyestuff and something to make it taste nasty. Whereas white spirit can be used as a label to cover several products used in DIY, and has different meanings according to which side of the pond you are on.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

JonNo wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:11 am So is meths better than white spirit (and no, I don't mean to drink!)?
It's like the common names for plants, right? :mrgreen:

A slightly diluted IPA (isopropyl/isopropanol, not India pale ale, don't dilute the latter!) works well and seems to be safe for plants so far, I've used it at about 66% with a dash of liquid soap as both a direct spray for the more infested or just hard to reach with a cotton bud plants (think Crassula 'Moonglow'), and on a bud to wipe mealy b*** with it.
Mat
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

MatDz wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:07 am
It's like the common names for plants, right? :mrgreen:

A slightly diluted IPA (isopropyl/isopropanol, not India pale ale, don't dilute the latter!) works well and seems to be safe for plants so far, I've used it at about 66% with a dash of liquid soap as both a direct spray for the more infested or just hard to reach with a cotton bud plants (think Crassula 'Moonglow'), and on a bud to wipe mealy b*** with it.
Absolutely correct.
But at my local village hardware store IPA is called "rubbing fluid" or "rubbing alcohol" .... just to add to the confusion.
Neat IPA is excellent for cleaning grease stain from CD and DVD ... for oldies like me who still have them. For SHALLOW scratches you can use very very carefully T-cut.