Water moisture monitor

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Water moisture monitor

Post by el48tel »

Stuart
You may be joking, but that is eminently "do-able". Probably a "RaspberryPi" task for a 12 year old.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I'm sure there must be a phone app thingy for telling when a plant needs watering and feeding. Like 99% of what my phone could do, it's not necessary. As far as the other 1% goes, I wouldn't be without it!

Stuart
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Yes ... like most things on a cellphone, they're high tech solutions to low tech problems. I'm not even sure if the 1% to which you allude, is really necessary. No doubt, there are some for whom the superglue cannot be dissolved, and it must remain permanently attached to their epidermis, and all Apps are so essential that the Earth will stop rotating should they not be able to access social media.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

I either lift the pot to assess the weight, or use the digital method. Stick a finger through the gravel topdressing to feel the soil surface.
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

I. also use weight as an indicator. Also the colour of the compost. With smaller pots I also look through the the holes in the bottom of the pots to check compost colour lol. If in doubt leave the watering for later.
agavedave
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by agavedave »

A wooden cocktail stick or kebab stick.

Leave it in the soil for a few hours, if it looks damp when it comes out then there's probably enough moisture in there.

Best Regards
Dave.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DERBY

Post by Ali Baba »

Eric Williams wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:39 pm With smaller pots I also look through the the holes in the bottom of the pots to check compost colour lol.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who does that!😄