Water moisture monitor

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Hectorsgaf
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Water moisture monitor

Post by Hectorsgaf »

Hi
Does anybody use one of these? Are they any good and if so which is the best to buy? Thank you
Simon
BCSS member 53572
Ross M
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Water moisture monitor

Post by Ross M »

I just use the plants as monitors - if they look thirsty they get a drink
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

Hectorsgaf
Registered Guest
Branch: DARTFORD

Post by Hectorsgaf »

Ross M wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:26 am I just use the plants as monitors - if they look thirsty they get a drink
haha. Part of my problem. My little guys NEVER look thirsty. :???:
Simon
BCSS member 53572
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I've got one. Just the stick in pH /Moisture type sold in most garden centres. As a relative newbie I find it useful to check, especially on larger pots, that they have dried out all the way through before watering again. Otherwise I'm a bit too heavy-handed with the watering can!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Ross M
BCSS Member

Post by Ross M »

Sorry Simon. I know it's easier judging with some plants than it is others. Moisture meters have been around for a long time now but I was always wary of their accuracy and whether I'd likely risk damaging roots by probing deep into the pot.
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I have variety described by edd.
"It's a guide only" I was advised by an old hand. Yes he also mentioned root damage by the probe. Another old hand recommended a sharpened pencil. Stick it into the compost. If it comes out clean, the pot is dry.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Absolutely a guide only - I feel it is only accurate enough to say something is thoroughly dry as in my potting mix they never seem to register above moist even after a good soaking! But when it says it's totally dry it seems to be accurate.

Bamboo skewers are often advised to put in orchid pots to use in the fashion Terry described for pencils. If the stick is damp so's the compost!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

It depends entirely on the salts in the compost to conduct electricity. If the compost is low in salts and the water is not free to move .... no conduction ... so it will appear to be no water present.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Apicra
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Apicra »

I simply look at the potting compost around a plant to see if it is wet. If you don't use any grit top dressing, then dark potting compost is obviously still wet. A few days after it turns light in colour and watering can be considered again, since lower parts of the pot will then be becoming dry. Moral of story: if you don't hide your potting compost, you won't need a gadget!

Best wishes,
Derek Tribble
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I 'hide' my compost mix under grit, no reason other than it makes the plants look better. The grit works in the same way for me as the soil does for Derek. It's a different colour when wet and any plant where the grit doesn't change colour back to the dry colour hints at a root problem. With smaller pots, it's easy to pick them up and feel the weight to see if they need watering. No gadget needed though I'm sure someone will have invented something for a phone that sends a message from the plant when it thinks it needs a drink.

Stuart