Name these seedlings!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Name these seedlings!

Post by Cactus Kid »

Here are some seedlings sown a couple of weeks ago.

Fancy having a guess at what they are? :lol:
IMG_9467.JPG
IMG_9472.JPG
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
fatich
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Name these seedlings!

Post by fatich »

Lithops or some kind of mesemb.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

The top one is mustard and the bottom one is cress
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Ali Baba wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:28 pm The top one is mustard and the bottom one is cress
That was my thought, but I thought I'd let someone else have the first call. So many folk say, "Oh my Lithops come up like mustard and cress seeds." Well mine don't .... and I'm annoyed.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

Great ID guys (tu)

It's Lithops 'Texas Rose' taken from my plant below last year.

I didn't have room for a bright spot due to other seeds coming up so they have become very stretched. I will now move them to a South facing windowsill and soon after, the greenhouse.

el48tel. I remove the seed heads in late March when thoroughly dry and place them into a container of warm water overnight. Any viable seeds will then sink to the bottom, and the detritus is sieved off in the morning. Then I just sprinkle them onto the surface and they grow like crazy. I cover them with a plastic top only until they germinate, then remove it to allow for better air circulation. I don't use a propagator as they like a marked difference in daytime and nighttime temperatures.
Texas rosen.jpg
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I can get them to germinate .............. but then they just ............die.
I'm trying to keep them in bags for shorter time this year ... no heat .... shaded over the bag to prevent scorch.
I'll keep you posted.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.