Sedum 'Sandra Mottram'

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Ernie
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: TEESSIDE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Sedum 'Sandra Mottram'

Post by Ernie »

Go this is as a tiny cutting some years ago. It likes its house and decided to flower for the first time. For the those that don't know Sandra is Roy Mottrams wife. I love the William Morris design pots!
P1010610.JPG
P1010614.JPG
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
Ernie
BCSS Member

Re: Sedum 'Sandra Mottram'

Post by Ernie »

According to the RHS the name has been tentatively accepted.Anyone care to comment? The plant is a hybrid of S. lucidum obesum x S treleasei
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

I'm afraid I'd put it in the 'Branch Raffle Prize' category. Sorry to Ray S. if he reads this :eek:

Stuart
Ernie
BCSS Member

Post by Ernie »

Its a growing plant with flowers so whats not to like about it. Not for a show table but equally most plants in collections are not! Grown for what they are not what biased individuals think about them. I thought the close up of the flowers made a change from cactus flowers.(I like them as well tho!)
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

Wearing my 'nurseryman's hat', which I don't do very often on the Forum, I'd have trouble trying to sell this one. There's nothing wrong with it and there are some quite attractive Sedums around, just not the nicest plant to name for your wife.

Stuart
StevenT
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM

Post by StevenT »

Ernie,
Re "According to the RHS the name has been tentatively accepted."

'Sandra Mottram' is a valid name. It was described in 1997 in the Sedum Society Newsletter 42, page 72. It arose as a self-sown seedling in a tray of S. lucidum 'Obesum' ISI 1497 which was growing "quite close to a large colony of S. treleasei." The article goes on to say "This handsome hybrid appears to be midway between parents in most respects".

Roy Mottram introduced it in his Whitestone Gardens catalogue of 1998, page 27 "a novelty offered here for the first time."

I grow mine outside in summer in a large bowl along with various other sedums, pachyverias and relatives and their various shapes, sizes and colours look very good together. In full sun it develops the somewhat glaucous leaves with a hint of red on the leaf tips and makes an attractive plant. !n the autumn I pot them up individually to over winter them under cover.

Yes, not everyone's 'cup of tea', Stuart, but well worth having as a visual rest from all the spiny plants in my collection!

Steven
Cacti and succulents with data - especially clonotypes, topotypes, old clones, ISI introductions - basically plants with stories!