The first of many

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Mike
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: WILTSHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

The first of many

Post by Mike »

Looks like I'm in for a good number of flowers this year on my Cleistocactus strausii.
The flowers are certainly odd, but are great to see. I wonder what pollinates these, birds perhaps?
20210501_151607[1].jpg
Mike
Based in Wiltshire and growing a mix of cacti and succulents.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Re: The first of many

Post by Ali Baba »

They certainly look like typical bird pollinated flowers, probably hummingbirds
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

They certainly look like typical bird pollinated flowers, probably hummingbirds. I have to repot mine tomorrow which I am not looking forward to as it is a metre tall and much spinier than it looks!
Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Mike »

Good luck with the repotting! Mine is now closer to 2 metres and has always had two main stems.
I prepared the bigger pot, with a recess in the new compost exactly matching the old pot, then having let the old compost dry out completely so it would lift easily from old pot, with thick gloves and a strong sense of purpose it was lift, shift and drop.
Mike
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Great display coming. My plant has been cut down to ground level several times in its 40+ years in my care. It’s currently no more than 2” tall, but I expect 2’ and flowers within 4 years
Ali Baba
BCSS Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Repotted it yesterday without any damage to myself or the plant thank goodness. Rather than gloves I wrap the stem in the thick brown paper that occasionally comes as packing in Amazon parcels. Provided it is scrunched up it is remarkably spine proof enabling me to lift the plant barehanded in to the new pot. Hopefully it won’t outgrow the new pot for a couple of years at least
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Looking great.
Do you think the sunny time last year has resulted in the mass of flowers this year ?.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Mike »

You may be right, Tina, which would bode well for other plants...