More bulbine

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Astro
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

More bulbine

Post by Astro »

Some of my bulbines are still in flower, but I've pretty much stopped watering most of them. One exception is mesembryanthoides, which I keep ticking over during the summer (in a more shaded and cooler spot) so it never loses its leaves completely. It's still in full flower, but the stronger sun and drier conditions have transformed the plants.
B mesembryanthoides
B mesembryanthoides
B mesembryanthoides
B mesembryanthoides
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Re: More bulbine

Post by Herts Mike »

Looking lovely!
Mine also in flower and I also keep it ticking over through summer.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Here’s the flower. Mine came from Terry Smale so is quite precious.
BAFD49BB-BF5C-4AFA-BC25-C3E7E766C94F.jpeg
Rogan
BCSS Member

Post by Rogan »

Your home-grown ones are beautiful but, spot the Bulbine in my "back yard"! 😀
Haworthia&Bulbine-s.jpg
Swellendam, Western Cape, South Africa
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Stuart »

It helped to be told that it was there somewhere, and having the flower spike, otherwise I'd never have spotted it. Are there many more in the same area?

Stuart
Rogan
BCSS Member

Post by Rogan »

Scattered here and there; I was investigating the Haworthia colony before I noticed the bulbines. This whole area is protected from predation by the fierce spines of Macledium spinosum, a member of the daisy family (Asteraceae).
Swellendam, Western Cape, South Africa
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Interesting. My Bulbine mesembryanthemoides dies right off.
Yours appear to be the form with truncated leaves, which I think makes them ssp. namaquensis, whereas mine has pointed leaves, which I think makes it ssp. mesembryanthemoides.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
MatDz
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by MatDz »

I might just have purchased a pointy specimen off eBay, so the truncated one is left to be found!

I even considered joining SABG just to find one, but I didn't see them on the last year's swap list and figured out it'll be a stretch. The hunt continues!
Mat
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

Pointed leaves are a function of water and bright sunlight, but mostly water. If I water mine generously they all have transparent, pointed lead tips. Those tips will collapse and dry out if the plant is left dry for a few week (which I do on purpose, since I like them better with flat leaves).

Ssp namaquensis vs mesembryanthemoides is (in my understanding) related to the number of leaves in a rosette (two for namaquensis, a large and a small leaf, and many leaves for mesembr). Mine are ssp mesembr, but if kept on a short leash with small rosettes they can be almost as tidy as ssp namaquensis.

I've grown quite a few of these (part of a sowing experiment that was too successful), now mostly sold to make room for other Bulbines :)

Some pictures to show plants with different aspects, depending pretty much only on how generously I watered them:

Lush specimen, was overwatered and probably in a shaded spot. The leaf tips can be quite long (1 or 2 cm).
IMG_2096.JPG
IMG_2096.JPG (130.88 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
More seedlings with pointed leaves:
IMG_0418.JPG
IMG_0418.JPG (142.67 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
Leaf tips starting to collapse. Young leaves still have the pointy look. Note the remnants of the leaf tips still clinging to the tops of the leaves.
IMG_2145.JPG
Older picture, this plant is now pretty much level with the soil:
IMG_2067.JPG
IMG_2067.JPG (113.46 KiB) Viewed 1264 times
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

MatDz wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:51 pm I even considered joining SABG just to find one, but I didn't see them on the last year's swap list and figured out it'll be a stretch. The hunt continues!
The list changes year to year. It all depends on what has been donated that year by members.