Some May flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Some May flowers

Post by Aiko »

If you don't mind me adding some May flowers:

Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus sown in 2015 and flowering for the first time, although most are clearly something different as only two of them are T. pseudopectinatus. I would still think a Turbinicarpus, but unsure what species. Anyone can guess what species it is?
Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus
Turbinicarpus pseudopectinatus

A few Stenocactus / Echinofossulocactus species I have sown back in the previous century and millenium. They are now 22 years old. Have not been flowering a lot, but in the last few years they have enjoyed it more with me. The bottom right still has to flower after all those years.
Stenocactus / Echinofossulocactus species
Stenocactus / Echinofossulocactus species

Two Glandulicactus wrightii I bought at ELK in 2019. Have been in the greenhouse without heat all winter, and have survived -15C with enough ease to flower.
Glandulicactus wrightii
Glandulicactus wrightii

Mammillaria heyderi var. hemisphaerica, quite an old plant considering the size, which I only bought a year ago. Had a good flowering in 2020 and is even doing better this year. Strangely enough last year it had a very odd sweet smell which I liked. I was thinking it would produce the same smell, but not this year.
Mammillaria heyderi var. hemisphaerica
Mammillaria heyderi var. hemisphaerica

Rebutia sp., some stowaway growing among other plants I had sown. Nice flower. Anyone can guess what species it is?
Rebutia sp.
Rebutia sp.

A Turbinicarpus viereckii I got two years ago, and have flowered a few times during 2020 and is already showing off this year. I expect it to flower a few more times during the summer. A very nice plant.
Turbinicarpus viereckii
Turbinicarpus viereckii

A few Mammillaria luethyi I have sown in 2017 that have started to flower for the very first time now. I have pollinated them so I hope to be able to harvest seeds from it. I assume it is cryptocarpic.
Mammillaria luethyi
Mammillaria luethyi

I have these for over ten years now, and these Strombocactus disciformis flower very enthusiasticaly every year.
Strombocactus disciformis
Strombocactus disciformis

Pelecyphora strobiliformis, I do have some I have sown myself which have also flowered, but this I got about ten years back and has not flowered a lot since. More flowers on the way, at the looks of it. In the background there are a few Astrophytums asterias I recently got from Tina.
Pelecyphora strobiliformis
Pelecyphora strobiliformis

Mammillaria perezdelarosae var. andersonii, sown in 2017. Have already flowered for the first time in 2020, but this year a few more plants so I could try to pollinate them. The photo is of a few weeks back when I only had one flowering, currently there are three of them flowering. The flowers are certainly not showy but the plants certainly are: these plants really are the cutest ones I have.
Mammillaria perezdelarosae var. andersonii
Mammillaria perezdelarosae var. andersonii
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

The more the merrier Aiko!

Cracking flowers, especially those Mammillaria.

If I had to guess the Rebutia I'd say it looks like some I got as Aylostera albipilosa and the flower is just what I hope theirs' will look like. (I was hoping mine would be better covered with long soft spines than they are!)
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Superb
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Great plants and flowers Aiko, it's really amazing how little the general population (me before joining the BCSS included) know about c&s flowers!
Aiko wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 7:18 pm If you don't mind me adding some May flowers: [...] Pelecyphora strobiliformis
May I ask what's hiding underground behind that Pelecyphora and in what substrate the Astrophytums are? Seems very sandy, at least on top.
Mat
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

MatDz wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:11 am May I ask what's hiding underground behind that Pelecyphora and in what substrate the Astrophytums are? Seems very sandy, at least on top.
That's a Lophophora hiding under the soil.

The Astrophytum asterias are in a very minaral mix of loam, grit / pebbles and rough sand, as most of my plants. They have just been potted up recently, so the dust of the loam still needs to wash off the plants. The loam will sink in between the pebbles so the pebbles will appear more promintly on top in the coming months as the mix settles. Then it will look like how the soil for the Lophophora and Pelecyphora shows.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I'd say your Rebutia is a form of Aylostera fiebrigii, sometimes called nivea.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

ralphrmartin wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:58 pm I'd say your Rebutia is a form of Aylostera fiebrigii, sometimes called nivea.
Sounds like a possible species.
Does it help if my plant survived -10 to -15C this winter in an unheated greenhouse? But maybe all species are evenly hardy, or my plant just got lucky this one winter and might not survive another winter like it...
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Aiko wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:33 pm
ralphrmartin wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 7:58 pm I'd say your Rebutia is a form of Aylostera fiebrigii, sometimes called nivea.
Sounds like a possible species.
Does it help if my plant survived -10 to -15C this winter in an unheated greenhouse? But maybe all species are evenly hardy, or my plant just got lucky this one winter and might not survive another winter like it...
Well, many Aylosteras are high altitude plants which can take quite a bit of cold - think of them as alpines rather than succulents. I've even had some survive wet Wales outdoors for a couple of winters, albeit with only 2 or 3 degrees of frost and occasional snow.

So, you could perhaps rule out a few species from lower and warmer conditions - but none of them look like your plant anyway. Aylostera fiebrigii is a pretty widely distributed plant with lots of intermediates between the named forms.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Another Chamaelobivia opened today.

This is Lincoln Giant and I am really impressed with the size of this flower with the Chamaelobivia shape. It's 7cm across and lovely and flat.
Chamaelobivia 'Lincoln Giant'
Chamaelobivia 'Lincoln Giant'
PXL_20210519_095028629.jpg
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

edds wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:56 am Another Chamaelobivia opened today.

This is Lincoln Giant and I am really impressed with the size of this flower with the Chamaelobivia shape. It's 7cm across and lovely and flat.

PXL_20210519_095023914.jpg
PXL_20210519_095028629.jpg
definitely not a misnomer
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.