Flowers!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Aiko
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Flowers!

Post by Aiko »

el48tel wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:15 pm thanks .... a trip to the GH through the hail/rain/etc reveals a few more buds this afternoon.
BUT
The weather of the past few days has not allowed the excess moisture in the trays (not water just moisture) to evaporate, and together with an RH of a very high value, and now very cold weather, means I fear for the more tender plants which cannot tolerate these abnormal conditions
Why do you rely on heat? It is fresh air that mostly gets things dry, from my experience. I have four windows open almost throughout the year in my 30 square meters greenhouse. Even on cool gloomy spring days things dry out quite fast.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Aiko wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:23 pm
el48tel wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:15 pm thanks .... a trip to the GH through the hail/rain/etc reveals a few more buds this afternoon.
BUT
The weather of the past few days has not allowed the excess moisture in the trays (not water just moisture) to evaporate, and together with an RH of a very high value, and now very cold weather, means I fear for the more tender plants which cannot tolerate these abnormal conditions
Why do you rely on heat? It is fresh air that mostly gets things dry, from my experience. I have four windows open almost throughout the year in my 30 square meters greenhouse. Even on cool gloomy spring days things dry out quite fast.
The door has been opened for days (apart from night time). But the amount of rain we have had is amazing. I have filled three rain water barrels in a few days. The air has been quite still and cold and damp until this afternoon. If we have wind tomorrow then I'll be more optimistic. Currently my GH has RH of 89%.
The only positive note is that my seedlings will not need spraying to prevent them from drying out.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
AndrewB
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by AndrewB »

Echinopsis ‘Bilsdale Flame’ looking rather spectacular on its second day with three flowers open.

These flowers grow when opened!
8E9420E0-1023-4055-A0C1-C95BA370167B.jpeg
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Great stuff Andrew. What's the diameter of the flowers?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Flaming good flowers
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

el48tel wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:15 pm
What "more tender plants" are you concerned about? Provided you haven't overwatered, these seem like fairly benign conditions, although not conducive to much above-ground growth.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

esp wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:16 pm
el48tel wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 4:15 pm
What "more tender plants" are you concerned about? Provided you haven't overwatered, these seem like fairly benign conditions, although not conducive to much above-ground growth.
Used less water on this occasion .... but the atmosphere is so full, evaporation has been painfully slow
AndrewB
BCSS Member

Post by AndrewB »

Ed, they are approximately 6 to 7.5 cm (2.5 to 3 inches).
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
AndrewB
BCSS Member

Post by AndrewB »

Another Chamae or two:
C.’Lincoln Ace’
C.’Lincoln Ace’
A rather ragged C.’Lincoln Friend’
A rather ragged C.’Lincoln Friend’
Andrew

el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Salivating .... waiting for my Echinopsis buds to show more development .... think Candlelight may be the closest