Sinningia leucotricha

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
dragonadeniums
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CHESTER & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Sinningia leucotricha

Post by dragonadeniums »

Pattock wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:45 am Do you check them during the night? They both look like moth-pollinated flowers.

I have a cubic metre terrarium with it own lights, a cat litter tray humidifier and a brief intake of fresh air from a fan every day. Stays over 85% humidity most of the time. Unfortunately, I have not found the Telosma cordata I wanted to put in there. So just a couple of Hoyas, a Frerea and some seedlings at the moment.

I have some Alpinia formosana (Pinstripe ginger) that are supposed to be hardy. I can't imagine they would have flowered as much if I had put them outside, though. :grin:
I don't check them at night...Adenium pollination is mostly by hand anyway - and involves cutting open the flower ! The Sinningias are pollinated by hand using a very small paintbrush, not all of the hybrids are fertile, and some Sinningias aren't compatible, so it can be quite an adventure.

The hand made terrariums I have are just clear acrylic sheets made into box-like covers for small trays, with a two-part lid - easy to do...double sided sticky tape required ! Seems to work really well and makes it easier to control humidity for plants with different preferences.

Might be a bit of a long shot, but there's a group on Facebook specifically for the rarer plants, it's UK based too...I can send you a link in a pm if you'd like ? You might be able to find the plants you're looking for there. It can get a bit rowdy on there, but it's always friendly and good natured (and often a bit risqué). The admins are great. It also has regular fund raisers for charities, and other special events. I've seen some really beautiful plants on there - and there are even some cacti/succulents there ! If you like Hoyas, then it's definitely the place to look...
Pattock
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Pattock »

dragonadeniums wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:10 pm Might be a bit of a long shot, but there's a group on Facebook specifically for the rarer plants, it's UK based too...I can send you a link in a pm if you'd like ? You might be able to find the plants you're looking for there. It can get a bit rowdy on there, but it's always friendly and good natured (and often a bit risqué). The admins are great. It also has regular fund raisers for charities, and other special events. I've seen some really beautiful plants on there - and there are even some cacti/succulents there ! If you like Hoyas, then it's definitely the place to look...
I am a great fan of million-to-one chances but it might just work. Please PM me. I just checked and I still have Facebook, though I have not used it since splitting with my last ex, six years ago. Except to stalk "Ceropegias of India" and the like, of course.

Which is presumably why they are now telling me: "This Facebook group is popular with users like you: Facebook Dating [emoji, emoji, emoji, emoji, emoji, emoji] Near Me". They are also recommending the Flat Earth Society Group to me, just to remind me why I stopped looking at Facebook. I can learn to ignore that stuff again for a good enough cause.

I don't mind risqué. I have been known to comment on the Strong Language blog.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
dragonadeniums
BCSS Member

Post by dragonadeniums »

I'll send the link in a few minutes :smile:

I'm not overly fond of Facebook but it can be a great resource if you ignore all the rubbish on there - including all of the "suggestions" for groups and friends Facebook thinks you need !
The rare plant group certainly had a lot of fun with the recent "naked gardening day"...the shenanigans even prompted one person (out of nearly 4.5k) to leave :lol:
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi dragonadeniums, yes the tuber is fine and quite solid. It was re potted last year, and watered this year, but no sign of growth. Shame
dragonadeniums
BCSS Member

Post by dragonadeniums »

Eric Williams wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:15 pm Hi dragonadeniums, yes the tuber is fine and quite solid. It was re potted last year, and watered this year, but no sign of growth. Shame
Sometimes they do just stop. But sometimes you can wake them up again...

You could try increasing the humidity (something as simple as putting a clear plastic cup/bowl over it, or even taking it out of the pot and putting it into a container of sphagnum moss for a while)
Or try increasing the temperature - put it somewhere warmer.
Or a combination of both !
David Neville
BCSS Zone Rep
Branch: SOUTHAMPTON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Secretary

Post by David Neville »

I have a general interest in all members of the Gesneriaceae, commonly referred to as Gesneriads. There are many Sinningias that have never been considered to be remotely succulent, such as the popular houseplant Gloxinia, and although I would encourage everyone to grow more members of this plant Family, and of the genus Sinningia, don't be fooled into thinking that they are all eligible for exhibiting in BCSS shows, where judges are abiding by the strict guidelines of the BCSS Handbook of Shows.
David Neville
Secretary of Southampton & District Branch. BCSS member since 1977.
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

David Neville wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:55 pm I have a general interest in all members of the Gesneriaceae, commonly referred to as Gesneriads.
Have you seen the blog Species New to Science? I am sure they don't catch all the new species but there are a lot of gesneriads on there, most gorgeous but with the occasional boring one.

This search orders the newly discovered gesneriads by date:
https://novataxa.blogspot.com/search?q= ... -date=true

I scroll through the main blog most days, trying to ignore the fish and so, so many gekkos.

Saintpaulia has very succulent leaves, are they allowed in shows? I just looked it up and I mean Streptocarpus sect. Saintpaulia, apparently.
mcdieimp
Registered Guest

Post by mcdieimp »

Flowers finally opened today...Iarae.
IMG_20210728_150939.jpg
From 'that seller', 100% germ rate. Ended up throwing the spares.
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

(tu)
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Here's Haberlea rhodopensis (growing outside) from the mountains of Bulgaria.
Haberlea rhodopensis.jpg
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk