Sinningia leucotricha

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
fero
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Sinningia leucotricha

Post by fero »

Sinningia leucotricha.
Just finished growing it's new fuzzy leaves, in just a few weeks, these will last nearly a year. the old leaf stem's just fall away in early march. Removing them is quite satisfying.
Attachments
IMG_20210506_153645399~3.jpg
dragonadeniums
BCSS Member
Branch: CHESTER & District
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Sinningia leucotricha

Post by dragonadeniums »

The leaves are lovely !

I have a few pots of seedlings and they are looking quite fuzzy and silvery already. This seems to be the most common one here in the UK...? Although I don't think Sinningias can really be described as "common" in the UK. I struggled to find any so started growing them from seed...leuco was last on my list as it's the only one I thought I'd be able to get here !

The really tiny micro-miniature ones are a little bit of a challenge, but are happy to reward you with flowers...
sinnsduo73.jpg
S. concinna and S. Mary Jane's Pixie (a hybrid). For reference, the "pots" are 4cm wide. They still have the little "potatoes" under those leaves !
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

The UK-based ebay seller worldwondersgardens has added 5 species of Sinningia seed since 21/4/21. At less than £2 per packet. I can't be bothered scrolling back to see when the other species they have was added.

If this link does not work, searching for Sinningia rupicola should not return many options. Not all 6 species have caudices but 4 definitely do. I was intrigued by the hardy shrub but my tiny garden is full.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/worldwondersgardens

I think we have the prolific plant introducer L. Maurice Mason to thank for promoting Sinningia leucotricha in the UK in the 1960s, when it was still Rechsteineria leucotricha. He was the first to introduce Frerea indica and many other exotic plants.

When I saw these seeds appear I did wonder if anyone still grew those. Of course, there is a Gesneriad Society and a worldwide following for the family. This one is also cute and furry...
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Lovely especially the little ones in their pots.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
dragonadeniums
BCSS Member

Post by dragonadeniums »

Tina...thank you :smile:
They are usually in a mini terrarium, but I took them out to photograph them !

Pattock...that seller has often offered Sinningia seeds, but some are not labelled (or described) correctly - the photos don't match the seed name, and one is a Paliavana, pretty much a Sinningia but one of those "don't quite know where to put it" plants, I guess ! I believe the Paliavanas don't form a tuber.
The only Sinningia I know of that is somewhat tolerant of our weather is S. tubiflora, which is sometimes available on plant websites here in the UK. But even that one should be kept frost free.

I'm up to about fourteen species, almost all seed grown (two were gifts) and a good number of named hybrids, some speciosa hybrids and a few of my own experiments ! I also have a few other Gesneriads.

This one is the hybrid Sinningia An's Nyx...it's scented and it's in a 2" pot.
nyx13.jpg
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

Scented of what? I love some scented flowers.

I have only bought two types of seed from that ebay seller and I have been too lazy to plant them yet. They look as though they are the right family. :grin: Caveat emptor.

Sinningia sellovii is being sold by various sources as seed and plants and described as capable of taking down to -9°C. Some still advise winter protection or lifting the tuber. It comes from mountains in South Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay and North Argentina, so it would not be unexpected if it were reasonably hardy.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

My S. leuco. failed to come back to life last year. Is there any hope this year for it, or is it for the bin ?
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

dragonadeniums wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:05 pm [...] Pattock...that seller has often offered Sinningia seeds, but some are not labelled (or described) correctly - the photos don't match the seed name, and one is a Paliavana, pretty much a Sinningia but one of those "don't quite know where to put it" plants, I guess ! I believe the Paliavanas don't form a tuber. [...]
To add to this, I have a rather mixed, down to zero, germination of seeds from that seller, and they were species I successfully germinated before, so I'm rather leaning towards the seeds quality being the issue, not the germination process.
Mat
dragonadeniums
BCSS Member

Post by dragonadeniums »

Pattock wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:42 pm Scented of what? I love some scented flowers.
They are lemon-scented, but only for a short while very early in the morning ! I have a scented Adenium...white flowers with a light jasmine fragrance.

I've read that sellovi can take maybe -2 for a very short while...still, I wouldn't want to try it ! I like to try to give them the conditions they need to flourish fully...which is why I have several home made "terrariums" and a few projects to turn into terrariums and a much more intensive watering schedule than the Adeniums will ever need ! :grin:

Eric...what does the tuber look like ? If it still looks ok it might be fine...leuco can be a bit temperamental ! There might be a few things you could try to help to "wake" it up...assuming the tuber is still ok.

Pretty sure I've bought from that seller too, but not for a long time. I think the first seeds I bought there germinated fairly well, though, but the later ones not so much. I then found Koehres (and a few others) and never looked back !
Pattock
BCSS Member

Post by Pattock »

dragonadeniums wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:19 am They are lemon-scented, but only for a short while very early in the morning ! I have a scented Adenium...white flowers with a light jasmine fragrance.
Do you check them during the night? They both look like moth-pollinated flowers.
dragonadeniums wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:19 am which is why I have several home made "terrariums" and a few projects to turn into terrariums
I have a cubic metre terrarium with it own lights, a cat litter tray humidifier and a brief intake of fresh air from a fan every day. Stays over 85% humidity most of the time. Unfortunately, I have not found the Telosma cordata I wanted to put in there. So just a couple of Hoyas, a Frerea and some seedlings at the moment.
dragonadeniums wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:19 am I like to try to give them the conditions they need to flourish fully...
I have some Alpinia formosana (Pinstripe ginger) that are supposed to be hardy. I can't imagine they would have flowered as much if I had put them outside, though. :grin: