availability of Discocactus Horstii?...

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JonNo
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

availability of Discocactus Horstii?...

Post by JonNo »

So, realistically, is there any point in starting a search for a reasonably mature one of these on its own roots to buy? Or am I more likely to find some teeth for the hen first? Just wondering...
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Re: availability of Discocactus Horstii?...

Post by Stuart »

The chance of keeping a flowering size plant alive on its own roots is near to zero. In the old days of imports, they were freely available and rarely survived their first winter. Small seedlings might be available at ELK but they're relatively easy when grafted. If the graft is fairly short they'll look the same as plants on their own roots. I'm sure someone will say they've had one on their own roots for ages but they've probably got high heating bills too. I wouldn't give up looking but the only mature one would probably come from a collection and would probably be expensive.

Stuart
JonNo
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by JonNo »

Interesting - thank you Stuart. I take it from what you say the problem is the UK winter weather/ the cold then? I've only just started looking, mildly curious, and so far all I've seen have been grafted and abroad... Nothing at all on its own roots.
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by gerald »

You can get one at ELK

Oh hold on a minute :cry: