Trying to start a fire

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Trying to start a fire

Post by iann »

One Lithops cultivar that I don't think I've quite got is L. bromfieldii 'Embers'. It is a reddish colour variant of var glaudinae. Here are the plants I have left from my first attempt: one slightly reddish, quickly browns out in the sun; one not really reddish at all.
embers-0512.jpg
Here it is in March:
embers-0331.jpg
So I tried again and got one candidate, but sometimes they get less colourful as they mature.
embers-0512a.jpg
And a third time, couple of possibles.
embers-0512b.jpg
Cheshire, UK
iann
BCSS Member

Re: Trying to start a fire

Post by iann »

I'm also trying to grow a purple variant of the strange Japanese pattern cultivar L. julii 'Kikusiyo Giyoku'. I've got some fairly standard L. julii 'Kikusiyo Giyoku', some forms with extremely bright or dark lines, a lot of not-so-special-looking L. julii seedlings, and a couple like this:
purple-0512.jpg
A purple form of L. julii 'Kikusiyo Giyoku' has been published as L. julii 'Murasaki-Kikushogyoku', not sure how it became purple. There is also 'Murasaki-Kosogyoku', which became purple by the inclusion of L salicola 'Sato's Violet' genes. They're all pretty hard to spell and don't easily fit on a label.
Cheshire, UK
FredG
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by FredG »

iann wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:50 pm They're all pretty hard to spell and don't easily fit on a label.
Have you tried using a larger label? :wink:
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
Pattock
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Pattock »

A Japanese word I recognise! Murasaki means purple.

They would take less space written in kanji.
Asclepiomaniac. Armchair ethnobotanist.
Occasional, eclectic blogger:
http://pattheplants.blogspot.com/
iann
BCSS Member

Post by iann »

Pattock wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:35 pm A Japanese word I recognise! Murasaki means purple.

They would take less space written in kanji.
Well that makes sense. Not sure my kanji is up to writing on labels. Maybe another use for a label printer?
Cheshire, UK