Getting the right colours in a picture.

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
edds
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Getting the right colours in a picture.

Post by edds »

I have had a new Chamaelobivia open this morning, 'Lincoln Friend' (Thanks Andrew!).

The colours on it are fantastic - (I am colour blind so these might be off!) A really bright pink tip to the petals fading to an orangey centre.

However the photo looks like this!
Chamaelobivia 'Lincoln Friend'
Chamaelobivia 'Lincoln Friend'
This was taken in daylight.

Any tips (short of serious photo processing) that will help to get more accurate colour rendition?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Diane
BCSS Member

Re: Getting the right colours in a picture.

Post by Diane »

I have the same plant, Ed, and I agree, the colours are beautiful. However, red tones seem to be difficult to photograph, whichever device you use (I find the same problem). So I’m afraid I’m not much help!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

At least I know it's not just me struggling Diane so that is a help! Thank you.

I'm going to take it home with me tonight (it's in my office) and try it outside with a black background over the weekend if there's a break in the weather!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Digital cameras are over-sensitive to red so they tend to blow out intensely red subjects. You can compensate with a blue filter, but most people won't have the equipment for that. You can avoid blowing out the red highlights by underexposing the image and then correcting (boost the other colours) on the computer. Works best if you can capture RAW images, but you can do it with any camera, even a phone. Experiment by taking multiple images over a range of exposures and see which retains all the red detail best.
Cheshire, UK
Chris L
BCSS Branch Websites Co-ordinator
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Branch Websites Co-ordinator

Post by Chris L »

More light. Under expose. Turn the saturation down (don't forget to turn it up afterwards). Trick is to stop the camera blowing out on the reds.

That will give a slightly orange flower. Boost the colours in editing software afterwards.

Take lots of pictures with different exposures etc (if you can), and experiment to get something that works better.
Joined 1991
Lamb's Reference Plate Index http://www.cactus-corner.co.uk/referenc ... -guide.htm
FREE on Kindle Unlimited:
Anglesey Circular Walk https://amzn.to/34i18qF
Lytham-Arnside Walk https://amzn.to/3fpQPGf
My Redbubble Shop https://www.redbubble.com/people/cactuschris/shop
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Chris L wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:35 pm More light. Under expose. Turn the saturation down (don't forget to turn it up afterwards). Trick is to stop the camera blowing out on the reds.

That will give a slightly orange flower. Boost the colours in editing software afterwards.

Take lots of pictures with different exposures etc (if you can), and experiment to get something that works better.
(tu) Chris
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
AndrewB
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by AndrewB »

Hi Ed,

Have you seen the Ishihara test? I encountered it in a job description of all things and gave it a try, not that I’m colour blind myself!
Andrew

Interested in most genera of small to medium ‘globular’ cacti, large flowering Mammillaria, Epiphyllum, Trichocereus, Hildewintera, Cleistocactus etc, small Agaves, Lithops, Titanopsis, Faucaria etc, plus hybridising.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

AndrewB wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:03 pm Hi Ed,

Have you seen the Ishihara test? I encountered it in a job description of all things and gave it a try, not that I’m colour blind myself!
Sat for ages looking at them when I was screened as a kid. Everyone else just did about 10 and then left but the nurses took me all the way through their book of them to check what sort of colour blindness I had!

Was showing them to some colleagues last week too as one of the pupils was asking about it.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

I have a friend who learned the page sequence so he could pass a medical. He's colour blind.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Late reply but I was waiting for a red flower. As has already been said large areas of red seem to cause a problem in the software that converts the individual red, greed and blue sensitive sites on the sensor into full colour (ie a red, green and blue value) for each site. Depending on your camera/phone you might be able to influence this process by using pre-set scenes (that what one of my camera uses). It is possible to apply a setting in some photo editing software but not quite the same as the software is trying to mimic what happened in the camera.

This picture shows preview screen which is supposed to let you see how the final image will look - colours on screen look different to the plant to me.
setup
setup
My camera did a reasonable job with the details on the petals except near the centre where it is the same colour all round
web-2143.jpg