Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus help

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH SURREY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus help

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

I watered this once and I am not sure if I gave it too much. The soil is free draining and the plant has turned kinda brown.
20210516_121742.jpg
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus help

Post by Diane »

Water it! Despite their reputation as being “living rocks” they appreciate being watered once spring arrives. Mine have had several waterings in the last month.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BIRMINGHAM & District

Post by esp »

That looks like a tiny pot, so I'd at the very least pot it at normal level rather than half way down, to give it a bit more root room.
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

Scorched? It doesn't look good to me, none of my look like that no matter how dry they are.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

Diane wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 4:02 pm Water it! Despite their reputation as being “living rocks” they appreciate being watered once spring arrives. Mine have had several waterings in the last month.
I did! 2 weeks ago I think. More water?
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

To give more information, it is on a windowsill with other cacti and mostly succulents, and it is above a radiator that can get pretty hot. It gets the morning sun.
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

It really looks dead to me. Knock it out of it's pot and if it is a goner I'll send you another, I've got plenty.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

20210516_205722.jpg
yep, shes a goner. root ball thingy is soft. idk how it happened its been on the windowsill all winter :( Maybe it got cold overnight after watering .
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Noooo, I think that'll be fine! Is the root/stem soft as in squeezable and rubbery or did it disintegrate into mush?
So long as it's not gone to mush, check for and remove any rotten roots and pot it up again (but a bit higher up). Give it a day or two to recover and then water it. It's going to take quite a few waterings over the coming weeks to get it properly rehydrated and ready to grow.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
NaZzAtAzEr
Registered Guest

Post by NaZzAtAzEr »

Phil_SK wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 9:21 pm Noooo, I think that'll be fine! Is the root/stem soft as in squeezable and rubbery or did it disintegrate into mush?
So long as it's not gone to mush, check for and remove any rotten roots and pot it up again (but a bit higher up). Give it a day or two to recover and then water it. It's going to take quite a few waterings over the coming weeks to get it properly rehydrated and ready to grow.

The round bit is squishy. Sorry I am lack for better word for it...
msedge_xANVtvOwtv.png
msedge_xANVtvOwtv.png (162.35 KiB) Viewed 1188 times