Lophophora red/brown lesions

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Nick_G
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Lophophora red/brown lesions

Post by Nick_G »

Quite a few of my Lophophora williamsiis have developed red/brown lesions mainly at the base of the plants. Other Lophophora species don't seem affected at the moment nor do any other cacti. I have sprayed them a couple of times with fungicides, Systhane and Bayer Fungus Fighter but this doesn't seem to have helped, a couple more plants have been affected. In fact the 'cure' for me has been as bad as the disease as the sprays have caused them to lose their attractive powdery blue bloom and they have gone decidedly green. I noticed this in a couple of plants a few years ago but the damage grew out after a year or two but this time many plants have succumbed. My normal cure for anything like this is the bin and I think that this is the sensible course of action this time as well.

Any ideas what is causing this?
DSCN3890.JPG
DSCN3891.JPG
DSCN3894.JPG
DSCN3895.JPG
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Re: Lophophora red/brown lesions

Post by Acid John »

Normally with stuff like this I dig it out and if it is not too deep it will scab over and recover. I might be imagining this but I think our plants sometimes forget to defend themselves, and really damaging them kickstarts the healing process.
Acid John
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

This is nothing serious, they have just been wet too long, don't bin.
They will be fine & it grows down quicker, don't dig out the damage, it will be worse than the marks, maybe they were wet late in the season, its really nothing to worry about
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

Thanks both of you. I don't think that prolonged wet was the cause, they were dry from the end of August until April and it was during this period that the problem started. It was a strange autumn and I reckon it's either fungal or bacterial, thriving in the conditions prevalent then. I did dig one out and it's a sort of red/brown dry rot. I'll keep an eye on them and hopefully some hot weather will restore their bluish bloom and if they get any worse it's the bin for them.
BCSS no.33806

Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Nick_G wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:46 pm My normal cure for anything like this is the bin and I think that this is the sensible course of action this time as well.
Does not sound like a plant person is speaking here, just someone with a collection looking for 'things' in mint condition only... This is a quite sad, actually.
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

Aiko wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:22 pm
Nick_G wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:46 pm My normal cure for anything like this is the bin and I think that this is the sensible course of action this time as well.
Does not sound like a plant person is speaking here, just someone with a collection looking for 'things' in mint condition only... This is a quite sad, actually.
You truly are a complete prat. I hope that translates into Dutch well.
BCSS no.33806

MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

As they say: "someone's trash is someone's treasure", so if you happen to have a post office on your way to the bin I'll be more than happy to quarantine this Loph on my shelf for you!
Mat
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

No Aiko isn't it, your being rude.

Most of us would give our plant a chance not just bin it.

I have had sharp gravel cause damage with lophs as they do inflate a lot when actively growing.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Nick_G
BCSS Member

Post by Nick_G »

Tina wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:55 pm No Aiko isn't it, your being rude.
Yes Tina, that was my intention. Aiko's comments were insulting, patronising and totally unnecessary. I'm too old and tired to take that sort of nonsense from anyone. If you agree with what he wrote then you are as ridiculous as he is.

Getting back to the original subject, keeping diseased plants in your greenhouse without any form of quarantine risks infecting the whole collection. I don't have space enough for quarantine so the bin is the only other option. Suggesting any other course of action is very poor advice indeed.
BCSS no.33806

Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Nick_G wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:09 pm You truly are a complete prat.
Nick_G wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:13 am Aiko's comments were insulting, patronising and totally unnecessary.
Nick_G wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:13 am If you agree with what he wrote then you are as ridiculous as he is.
Good to see you are able to show a mature response without making things personal with name calling and without insulting anyone else.

Good luck with your plant collection, until another little blemish pops up somewhere...