BCSS virtual Spring Show 2021

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tony R
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: BCSS virtual Spring Show 2021

Post by Tony R »

Thanks, Jim, for making these available in such a well presented format.

Some great plants/photos - well done to everyone who entered.

Looks like Class 13 needs to be re-judged. I would have thought the 3rd place, a variegated Agave, was NAS in a Cactus Class :oops:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Thank you Jim, much easier to navigate!

A question about the multi-plant classes, e.g. "Class 6. Succulents — three plants...". The winner (https://bcssimages.zenfolio.com/p890864939/h9824fc3d) is a collage of 3 individual photographs, which sort of contradict my understanding of the class idea. Many other photographs showing an arrangement of three plants, whether in their individual pots or potted together, seem to be a better fit (many are also clearly single plants, which doesn't fit the class as well). Did the rules say anything about a submission of a single photograph?

Edit: I just found the official rules, and the class description just says "Succulents - three plants. Maximum pot size 30 cm", which is quite vague, but I guess the winner collage meets the definition. Maybe it would be better to clarify the rules a little, at least by making sure the plants are presented on a single, arranged photograph, which most seem to follow anyway?
Mat
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
Branch: LIVERPOOL

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Tony R wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:05 am
Looks like Class 13 needs to be re-judged. I would have thought the 3rd place, a variegated Agave, was NAS in a Cactus Class :oops:
I did notice that when uploading files, had a look at schedule to see if it included succulents.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Oh gosh, is that me with a bimbo moment.
Also my three cactus ids are mixed up, could be me again
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Tina wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:54 am Also my three cactus ids are mixed up, could be me again
Just looked at them and will try and swap the titles so should be correct soon...

Edit - should be fixed now, I got it wrong when copying description from Bill's spreadsheet
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY

Post by Tony R »

Tina wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:54 am Oh gosh, is that me with a bimbo moment.
I did not want to name names, Tina! :lol: :lol:
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

We can always blame bills spreadsheet :duh: :duh:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Tina wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:56 pm We can always blame bills spreadsheet :duh: :duh:
Not quite Shakespeare's to be or not to be - in this case it was 3 or 3B in the file name
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

I'm sure Gareth left it in as a test, I did just wash n curl its leaves especially.

Love this pot Class 4 E62 - Adansonia Digitata - Ravi Ivaturi

Some very nice plants that just aren't that photogenic, you also seem to get better photo's with smaller plants, this is good for more variety, like the pots on some of them.
We seem to have more people entering this time- well done all.

Plant I'd most like to adopt would be -Class 6 E69 - Euphorbia groenwaldii- Christine Bruno.

The three plants business is a little confusing last time I sent three individual photo's it seemed to get ignored.
Last edited by Tina on Sun May 30, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tina

Bucks, UK
Bill
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

Cant blame me this time :lol: Not going to name names but not my spreadsheet, all I did was concatenate the various fields to create the captions.

I have got access to the original emails so I will check what they say.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.