SALE BY PRIVATE AUCTION OF A SIGNIFICANT CACTUS & SUCCULENT COLLECTION

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Post by Bill »

SUNDAY 4th JULY
David Kirkbright, Treasurer of the BCSS for more than 30 years, died suddenly in early March. Many of you may have visited his greenhouses over the years, which contain a superb collection of many plants. His family have now asked Northampton & Milton Keynes Branch to arrange the disposal of his collection, so that it may continue to live on with others.

As a result, we will be holding the auction on Sunday 4th July in the back garden of David’s house at 71 Lakes Lane, Newport Pagnell, Bucks, MK16 8HT. The collection and lots will be available for viewing from 9.00am, with the auction starting at 11.00am. There are so many plants after David’s collecting for over 50 years that we will only have 250-300 auction lots, containing the best plants in the collection, to ensure we finish about 5.00pm. There will be a 30 minute break for lunch. The remaining few hundred plants will be available for sale throughout the day. These will not have preset prices, just make us a sensible offer on the day. We are not trying to make a lot of money, but simply want the plants to find new homes.
David’s favourite genera were Ariocarpus, Lophophora, Mammillaria, Strombocactus and other small Mexican plants, along with Euphorbia and Pachypodium, and there will be many fine examples of these. There will be a list of lots available in a couple of weeks, but at the moment we are still working on them. The final list will be available from the two contacts below. All plants will be “sold as seen”, and the names on the list are as the names on the labels.

With Covid in mind, the auction will be held in the open air in the rear garden, which has more than enough room as it is several hundred feet long. There will be no chairs provided, so you must bring your own, along with an umbrella (this is England in July!). Viewing in the greenhouses will be restricted to a safe maximum number at any one time.

The Branch will be providing free teas, coffees and biscuits throughout the day, but we suggest you bring your own food and drink for lunch. There is a ground floor toilet available all day in the house (hand sanitiser will be provided). In an emergency, a second toilet is available upstairs. Other than that, there will be no access through the house. Entry will be through the garage and out of the rear door in to the garden. This will involve a small step for those with mobility issues.

Unfortunately, Lakes Lane is very narrow, and is also a no through road, although there is a turning space at the far end of the lane. There is only room for parking on one side of the road, which just allows enough room for vehicles to pass the parked cars. In addition, parking on the verge is prohibited. If you can find a space where you can park correctly, that will be fine (some of the residents get rather stroppy over poor parking!). If not, we strongly suggest you use the public car park at the junction of Marsh End Road and the High Street, with the entrance in Station Road. (Just put David’s postcode above in to Google Maps UK, and all will be clear). This is a free car park with about 80 spaces, and is a 8-10 minute walk to David’s house in Lakes Lane. When looking for the house, look for the red post box on the left hand side half way down the lane which is outside his house. For those that have to park in the town, at the end of the auction, we will ensure you can use the driveway to come and collect your plants. Depending on numbers this may involve a rota system.

If you are planning to come, please contact either of the people below to register in advance. This will also help us to manage numbers attending, with Covid rules in mind, although by 4th July we hope this should no longer be an issue. It will also be possible to register on the day. All payments for auction lots will be taken at the end of the auction, preferably in cash, but cheques will be acceptable, especially for larger sums. All cheques should be made payable to A. Kirkbright.

To register your interest in the auction, or to receive a full list of the auction lots, please contact either:
Barry Tibbetts – barry.tibbetts@btopenworld.com 01908 616243
or
Bill Darbon – william.darbon77@btinternet.com 01993 881926
20210522_161005.jpg
20210522_160957.jpg
20210522_160939.jpg
20210522_160948.jpg
20210522_161041.jpg

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: SALE BY PRIVATE AUCTION OF A SIGNIFICANT CACTUS & SUCCULENT COLLECTION

Post by Tina »

Can people please pre register and confirm if they are or are not attending.
Because of Covid issues we need as much info about attendance numbers as possible.

Please don't forget your mask & a chair.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

I registered interest and was told a list would be sent out by email.
I’ve not received that list yet. As I’d be travelling from North Lincs, I’m really interested in what is in the sale before I commit to travelling. I expect I’d be buying the side lots rather than the stars of the sale.
Eho1cactus
Branch: HARROW

Post by Eho1cactus »

I also pre registered and am waiting to receive list of plants available and further details as referred to in email from Barry Tibbetts.
Regards Richard Bleay
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi all,
The delay is because we have to do a risk assessment and finalise the procedures for the day, should be with you soon.
There are lots of plants that will be available as BIN ( buy it now) as well as the auction lots
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Tina
BCSS Member

Post by Tina »

Hi All,
I hope you all got your registration sorted OK.

Registration is now closed for this, can you remember your mask, chair & lunch etc.

Payments are by CASH OR DIRECT BANK PAYMENTS .
Tina

Bucks, UK
Cactus Kid
BCSS Member
Branch: HAVERING
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Cactus Kid »

Hi Tina. I thought payment by cheque was originally stated.

Is that still OK?
Joined Havering branch 2006, although have been growing on and off since the age of ten!
Have a large balanced collection of both cacti and succulents but enjoy growing cristate, monstrose and generally anything a bit weird!