Looking for advice

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tim2223
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Looking for advice

Post by Tim2223 »

Thank you for reading.
My father in law an avid cactus collector for 50 years died suddenly in October. It has fallen on ourselves to care for his collection until we can find a home for them.
They are all in a large greenhouse and we were wondering roughly how often per week you would expect to water them at this hot time of year and if there is any type of particular care they should be getting at this time?
We are also needing to find them all loving homes and was also wondering if you may give us an insight into how and where we might find said homes.
Many thanks
Tim
edds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Looking for advice

Post by edds »

Hi Tim and sorry to hear about your father in law.

Generally they will need to dry out between waterings so the actual frequency will depend on the size of the pots and what compost they are potted in. A cheap moisture meter from the garden centre can help check if the centre of the pot is dry - I use one for my larger pots.

As to finding permanent homes for the collection there are a couple of options.

1. You can just sell them all on eBay.
2. You could post them the up on here in the sale section (if you're a new member it might not be visible to you yet.)
3. If you say where you are, members of the local branch may be able to help you with donating /selling them.

Despite what you might see at a garden centre, large, old cacti and succulents are rarely worth lots of money and often might be a case of giving them to people. Small, rare ones might be worth selling but someone from the local branch of pictures on here might help some of the knowledgeable folks on here offer you some further advice.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

That's all good advice and ideal for keeping them thriving in the long term. The good news is that the plants will tolerate (if not thrive in) a range of cultivation conditions and most of them will be fine with a hosing down every week to 10 days-ish.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
fero
BCSS Member

Post by fero »

Above all sounds good. I'd just add that if you can't open the doors and windows in the glasshouse each day.
It would be fine now to leave them open day and night, to save them getting scorched/to much heat.
Chris in Leeds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Chris in Leeds »

Hi Tim
You could contact your local BCSS branch the list is here https://www.society.bcss.org.uk/index.php/branches.html as you didn't say
They might have somebody that could help you or even advise about an auction or sales day if that is what you want
Chris
BCSS MEMBER SINCE 2000 (NATIONAL SHOW)
FORUM MEMBER SINCE JUNE 2006
Interested in - TURBINICARPUS (Always looking for plants I don't have)
TEPHROCACTUS AND RELATED SPECIES
http://www.leeds.bcss.org.uk/ http://www.zone3.bcss.org.uk/
Tim2223
Registered Guest

Post by Tim2223 »

Many thanks everyone
I will post some pics and as soon as I can will try and contact local branch, we are in West Sussex.
Tim
Tim2223
Registered Guest

Post by Tim2223 »

20210524_154648.jpg
20210524_154648.jpg
20210524_154831.jpg
Attachments
20210524_154722.jpg
20210524_154827.jpg