Regarding ,, cactus and succulent identification thread

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
fero
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Regarding ,, cactus and succulent identification thread

Post by fero »

I just wanted to point out that three people have asked for help with identification, and haven't received any answers.
Including a branch security. Though that's neither here nor there.
Maybe this is why would be difficult if this topic is pinned.
As single requests they usually have a response.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Regarding ,, cactus and succulent identification thread

Post by MatDz »

fero wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:09 pm I just wanted to point out that three people have asked for help with identification, and haven't received any answers.
Including a branch security. Though that's neither here nor there.
Maybe this is why would be difficult if this topic is pinned.
As single requests they usually have a response.
That's not the largest sample size, isn't it? :ugeek:

Anyway, I am not sure what the difference really is - a separate thread shows a couple of photos, to which people can reply, a common thread also has a couple of photos (per post), to which people can reply (by quoting the post) - not much more is usually needed than 2-3 post to pinpoint the right taxon. It might simply be a reluctance to look into longer threads, which would be changed if no other such topics are allowed.

The separate section for "identification and similar silly questions", as someone (I have brilliant memory, just short) suggested, seems to be a nice compromise.
Mat
fero
BCSS Member

Post by fero »

How do any of us learn without asking questions.
If the forum is to be inclusive, a separate section for identification misses the point, it would be viewed by less people, people who could possibly help identify the plant.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I completely agree with Fero on this point.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

fero wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:55 pm How do any of us learn without asking questions.
If the forum is to be inclusive, a separate section for identification misses the point, it would be viewed by less people, people who could possibly help identify the plant.
There's nothing exclusive in having a separate section, Haworthia Society has its own, the same for Tephrocactus Study Group and a few others (including the "Introduce Yourself" section!). It's the users who take or not certain actions, and I can hardly see any positive sides of mixing the identification posts sneakily between other discussions. But maybe I'm the only one using the "new posts" button to see all the new posts at once?

I'm not the only one raising the question of where to ask for help with identification, and quite a few, to not say most without any backing data, modern forums have separate places for similar "quick questions".

I agree the communal pinned thread is not a good approach, but I'd love to be able to find all my requests in one place (e.g. a single, personal thread).

Edit: To clarify, I'm by no means trying to start a mutiny, even better, I'm perfectly happy to comply with "the old order", it's just not the only way, and it might be confusing to new users, potentially more accustomed with other approaches.

Edit edit: Even despite my "collective" identification thread was never really meant to be such, quite a few newer members used it, which supports my observation from the first "edit" above.
Mat
fero
BCSS Member

Post by fero »

Hello Mat
I think a separate section for identification risks being overlook by many forum users. Such a page would place extra work for a moderator who would bare the main responsibility for replying, and would give a less diverse source of advice. I understand that some people see identification posts as clutering up the main C+S page.
Though it's not difficult to leave such posts unread.
I also use the ,, new posts,, option.
you can use the ,, all posts read,, when needed.
If you want to view your own posts , they are all available at ,, my profile,,
The example of the Tephro ... Aloe ... Pages are quite different as these are of considerabl interest to some. Though can be quite quite for weeks at a time.
I'm also not trying to be difficult, or disagreable.
I agree with you that people new to the forum don't always know where to ask about identification questions.
Maybe a few words could be added to the top of the main C+S page to help guide them .
I understand that this isn't just your view and is shared by others using the forum. I'm just trying to put across how I see this issue.

Edit.. one of the identification posts that was missed by other forum users was yours. This is the situation I'm conserned would happen with a separate section.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

fero wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:33 pm [...]
Edit.. one of the identification posts that was missed by other forum users was yours. This is the situation I'm conserned would happen with a separate section.
Pinpointing just your edit, I believe that post grew too large and that turned people away of it, but I might be wrong.

People might be searching for terms such as "identification" and finding nothing general enough (or finding "my" post in the top 20+ results, not sure what's worse!).
Last edited by MatDz on Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mat
fero
BCSS Member

Post by fero »

I agree with you, it is most likely what happened. Some clearer advice, to help direct people to where to post identification posts. Would be helpful.
And possibly some sticky for the search result if that's possible.
I'm just of the opinion that that place is the main
Cactus and succulent page.