night and day

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
rcapra
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

night and day

Post by rcapra »

these days the surprises are both night and day... Ruggero
Attachments
gymnocalycium.jpg
Setiechinopsis.jpg
MatDz
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: night and day

Post by MatDz »

Amazing flowers, which species is the second one?
Mat
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Lovely contrast (tu)
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
rcapra
BCSS Member

Post by rcapra »

Dear MatDz, it is Setiechinopsis mirabilis and blooms only one night with a scent similar to jasmine. For me, it is a graceful flower.
Ruggero
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: SPALDING

Post by rodsmith »

Beautiful blooms.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

rcapra wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:43 pm Dear MatDz, it is Setiechinopsis mirabilis and blooms only one night with a scent similar to jasmine. For me, it is a graceful flower.
Ruggero
Thank you! It is well worth the wait, but I'd hate to miss the flowering while on a weekend out of town!
Mat
JonNo
BCSS Member

Post by JonNo »

My little Setiechinopsis Mirabilis flowered last night too...

I know, its a terrible picture, but it was late and I was tired... And of course when I went back this morning to try again the flower was gone. The main reason for posting it at all is to say thank you to the very kind and generous fellow forum member who gifted the plant to me recently (thanks ever so Debbie!), it decided to throw out a flower as if to say hello... The more I come across these miniature varieties, the better I like them.
P6060133.JPG
Phil_SK
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

My Setiechinopsis mirabilis flowered yesterday too. But...
IMG_20210607_165752r.jpg
...as you can see it got its top cut off almost straight away, then further chopped into five to allow me to more easily apply the pollen to five other flowers. This is how it looks this evening. :lol:
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Can I ask what you're trying to cross it with Phil? I've got some seedlings with a view to trying a few crosses into Echinopsis but not sure whether they will take or not.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Phil_SK
Branch: LUTON
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Last year I tried it with Acanthocalycium leucanthum and rhodotrichum ssp chacoanum (based on their relatively close position in Schumpberger & Renner's phylogenetic tree) but neither formed fruit. This week's attempt was more a case of looking at what else was in flower so ended up being Borzicactus sextonianus, a chamaelobivia, 'Gwendoline', Echinopsis haematantha 'Jasimanensis', Echinopsis jajoana 'Nigrostoma' and Lobivia cinnabarina.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia