Stocks

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
John E
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

Stocks

Post by John E »

At the 2016 National Show I purchased two different looking grafted Toumeya papyracantha. Within a very short while both scions had dried up and disappeared.I left the stocks where they were and the next year they both started to offset. This year they have both flowered.
Attachments
Stocks
Stocks
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Stocks

Post by edds »

Very nice! Do you know what they are?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
John E
Registered Guest

Post by John E »

I know that they are Echinocereus. I would hazard a guess at baillyi??
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Yes, they both look like they're in that group. I have an E. reichenbachii var albispinus in flower today and it is almost identical to the right hand plant.
Cheshire, UK
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

John; Echinocereus do have the ability to grow from the roots and can sometimes send up new shoots well away from the mother plant.
The guys above are spot on, they are both E. reichenbachii with the left pale spine plant being the form albispinus sometimes called baileyi var. albispinus and the right hand plant with orange spines is E. reichenbachii subsp. baileyii
Quite an unusual choice for a stock I may give that a go with some Ariocarpus and see what happens.
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.