Confusion identifying Cacti!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
silverman166
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Confusion identifying Cacti!

Post by silverman166 »

Sorry for delay in responding - just returned from a much-needed extended break.

All contributions are gratefully received, and largely serve to confirm my feeling that it's never going to be easy to get a 'proper' id of many cacti/succulents in general, as even the experts don't seem to agree.

I'll probably just follow KarlR's suggestion and just accept it is a Stenocactus species. with hastatus and crispatus as possibles!

Incidentally, KarlR, where can I find Bravo-Hollis's key to Stenocactus to which you refer, please? I've searched online to no avail, and wonder whether any of her books were published in English?

Thanks again for the interesting discussions.

Peter
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

The version I have is a scanned PDF of the three volumes of her book. I was given it by a Mexican botanist friend of mine. I'm sure it's available from University library resources he has access too. I can't distribute it further I'm afraid. Maybe it's available elsewhere on the Internet, but not legally I think.

It's a shame really, because the book constitutes a massive amount of fieldwork and research and really deserves to be more widely known. There is no English translation from the Spanish original as far as I know, so maybe that's the reason.
Tony R
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Her original single volume work (published in 1937) was made available on the Internet by the Biodiversity Heritage Library in Mexico:
https://archive.org/details/cactaceasde ... v/mode/2up
The Stenocacti are covered on pages 394 to 413.

The 2nd edition 3 volume work (published in 1978, 1991 and 1991), which I have as a hard copy, is second to none as a detailed record of Mexican cacti. She was indeed a remarkable lady.
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
silverman166
BCSS Member

Post by silverman166 »

Thankyou both KarlR and TonyR

Followed your link, TonyR - fascinating, must polish up my Spanish, but generally can get the gist!