Identification

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
KarlR
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Identification

Post by KarlR »

I never have to resize the photos I post. I almost exclusively post from mobile. Maybe that makes a difference?
edds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

I post from a phone too but the picture size is much too big! About a quarter of the picture just comes in under the file size!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

The file size limit for the site is around 5 to 6Mb. This is a hefty image as a JPG .... several up market cameras make their JPG images of this size.
The important dimension is the pixel count across the larger dimension. 1000p is more than sufficient for readability on most cellphones, pads and standard HD TV.
Most cellphones will let you downsize the image for posting and to remain inside the size limits for social media posts, and bandwidth limits on some networks.
I always recommend Adobe Photoshop Express ..... a freebie.
I can take an image .... edit it .... downsize it .... and post it within 2 minutes, even on a bad day. The most important reason for using it ..... I can ensure that its the "right" orientation for this and other sites.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Before downsizing any image, consider cropping it. Many images have a lot of irrelevant stuff that can be cut away to leave the largest rectangle with content of interest. Your pictures will look better, and be smaller file sizes.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

ralphrmartin wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:35 pm Before downsizing any image, consider cropping it. Many images have a lot of irrelevant stuff that can be cut away to leave the largest rectangle with content of interest. Your pictures will look better, and be smaller file sizes.
I quite agree Ralph, something I nearly always do, very quick and easy.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

20210613_152127.jpg
Just an experiment 4mb and 4032×3024. If you tap on the photo you see a downgraded picture that will not expand much. But if you tap onto the transparent writing at the bottom you will get a picture that expands quite a lot.
Acid John
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

That’s a useful point John, thanks.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Post by Cidermanrolls »

ralphrmartin wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:35 pm Before downsizing any image, consider cropping it. Many images have a lot of irrelevant stuff that can be cut away to leave the largest rectangle with content of interest. Your pictures will look better, and be smaller file sizes.
I also find cropping an image often solves the orientation issues we sometimes see posting pictures. A cropped image almost always loads the correct way up.
Acid John
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Post by Acid John »

Ciderman, even if it is a good picture straight out of the camera, taking a few pixels off one side will make sure it orientates the correct way. Very strange.
Acid John
fero
BCSS Member

Post by fero »

I've also had no problems with orientation after cropping photos, :ban: